Strategies

Jay_W

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Imagine there exists some strategy, action, plan etc. that could stop at least one half of the suffering caused by factory farming, either in one country or worldwide. If such a thing existed, what would it look like?

Points for plans that are easily divisible into smaller steps, for plans a single organization/person/group of people could do, for plans that don't involve "magic" (e.g. "convert a ton of people to veganism" does not specify how this would be done and goes against lived experience that this has diminishing returns), etc.

Here's my take:

-probably this requires some sort of insane munchkinry, so let's start with "do startup, acquire hella money"
-I am not convinced we know how to do farming-at-scale that fits these two critereon: first, of satisficing for, "are these animals' lives at least neutral rather than negative when it comes to whether they're worth living at all", and second, of maximizing for "shouldn't be more expensive/unprofitable than necessary" after having satisficed for the above
-so, form an org to do a thorough investigation/optimization of the above with your hella money
-(yeah people know about cage free and some independent farmers think in terms of ethics already, but there hasn't been a systematic investigation into this afaict, and I doubt most of these really optimize for "minimize animal suffering" so much as visible correlates thereof. Also, cage free does not get you to "lives arguably worth living").
-once you have this, you have a "piece" of a solution which is usable at some point, even if there isn't political will to use it now.

Other than that, in terms of "how many animals are alive at any moment", broilers are like, 70 % or so (source: memory, probs not off by more than 10 percentage points), so regardless of what style of plan you do, broilers should be the main focus for the obvious utilitarian reason.

What are broilers?

I also don't really understand what you're saying. Can you clarify the core point? It seems to be related to researching animal culture. But for what exactly?

Other than that, in terms of "how many animals are alive at any moment", broilers are like, 70 % or so (source: memory, probs not off by more than 10 percentage points), so regardless of what style of plan you do, broilers should be the main focus for the obvious utilitarian reason.

Seventy percent or higher.

compassion-in-world-farming-chickens-slaughtered-death-globally-go-vegan-stop-killing-janeunchained-news-majority-1.jpg

8973559_orig.png