Strange ingredients

Col

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I have been eating some Kelloggs cereal foolishly thinking it simply had vegan ingredients with added vitamins,
I became fully vegan at the end of last year but I am researching more closely now - it seems the vitamin D they use comes from lanolin from wool.

As I thought how I did not want to eat wool, as well as the process of harvesting from animals, really, how many people really relish the idea of wool in their food?
I think many people would be shocked!
Also I was surprised that there was animal fat in many shower gels.

What other strange processed animal ingredients are in commonly used products that are a little bit surprising?

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
that is so strange - there have been many petitions asking them to change and I don't see that they have

I do not eat any Kellogg cereals nor do I use body washes, just soap, and I am sure you are likely correct that there are many sneaky ingredients - it is always good to learn more so we can vote with our wallets.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Brian W and Col
I have been eating some Kelloggs cereal foolishly thinking it simply had vegan ingredients with added vitamins,
I became fully vegan at the end of last year but I am researching more closely now - it seems the vitamin D they use comes from lanolin from wool.
You're not eating wool. If I remember right. Vitamin D is produced by a chemical process that starts with lanolin.
After reading that D3 is more effectiveI went back to D3 supplements . plus they are cheaper. Also and this might be illogical or inconsistent and even a bit rationalizing , but now I feel it's ok to buy the breads and cereals that have added D3. Just one less thing to worry about.

What other strange processed animal ingredients are in commonly used products that are a little bit surprising?
I just posted an article that you might find interesting

I also kept taking lanolin based D3 after I was found deficient while doing everything I could with sunlight and D2 supplements. After a year and still low I was afraid to switch
Now there are many more vegan D3s from algae or mushrooms, and prices are coming down
I'm looking to buy these-and take 2500 IU to make 60 day-

• Love
Reactions: Lou
I also kept taking lanolin based D3 after I was found deficient while doing everything I could with sunlight and D2 supplements. After a year and still low I was afraid to switch
Now there are many more vegan D3s from algae or mushrooms, and prices are coming down
I'm looking to buy these-and take 2500 IU to make 60 day-
I advocate taking vitamin D for the immune system and I take something similar

Living in California, and walking outside 10 miles a week, taking a multi, and lots of fortified soy milk I thought I had it handled. but my last blood test had my D levels a little low. so now I take 2000 iu a day, per doctor's instructions.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Living in California, and walking outside 10 miles a week, taking a multi, and lots of fortified soy milk I thought I had it handled. but my last blood test had my D levels a little low. so now I take 2000 iu a day, per doctor's instructions.
How low?

I can't get an explanation, but I also took measures to walk daily at peak sun, also taking Deva calcium and D2, when the pain in my ankles caused me to ask for a test. I was deficient and told to take 2000 IU (US measure) daily after a course of very high dose D3. A year later I tested at lowest end of being ok. Doctor then said 5000 IU a day, that my body just didn't utilize it well :shrug:
I've heard this from others too, which is why I always suggest getting tested. You don't want to take too much!

In the US at least D is not part of the annual bloodwork they recommend, and not covered by insurance

(I thought you said "How SO?" :laughing:)

I was at 11 when I tested low, again a US measure. 30 is the lowest end of normal

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15