Spain!

Damo

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I'm leaving for Spain at the beginning of April it's my first time abroad! (dislike planes)

I have all my bathroom stuff sorted, didn't realise for liquids you can only take up to 100ml for each container that must not exceed 1 litre but there doesn't appear to be a limit for cargo luggage.

Anyway, I'm only staying for 5 days I have a feeling food may be an issue in Spain has anyone been to Spain? Pointers?

Also, I only plan to stop on the beach for a day or two do you know of any interesting places to visit?

We'll be stopping at this hotel so within walking distance maybe?

Excited and nervous, should be awesome! :)

Oh sounds nice! I've never been to Spain as I don't do so well in hotter countries but if you're going in April it should be quite nice and pleasant I suspect.

Well, Happy Cow is an international site and should be able to help you. Otherwise I'd try to find out when the local food markets are on.

I'm sure you'll post photos :)

Reactions: Damo
I'm kinda the same, the plan was go to in April so that it's a cooler than it is in the summer :innocent:

I'm sure I'll find a few places on Happy Cow, if not there's going to be fruit/vegetable market stands I'm sure as you said.

I'll post photos when I'm back for sure!

Hi Damo,

I've been to Spain a lot, my son is studying it at university also.
They do lots of fresh salads and seasonal fruit/veg in most places, so you should be fine. Also simple pastas, rices and beans are usually separate in buffets at hotels.

What I've found in most restaurants (especially the South, places like Seville) is if you order any salad they automatically sprinkle it with tuna!

When still vegetarian, myself and my son ordered a side salad last August and asked for our pizza specifically to be vegetarian, but we still got the tuna on the salad!
So something to watch out for.

It's a beautiful country, people are very friendly and usually speak good english. :)
My son is in Portugal this spring, so I will ask him to keep an eye open for Vegan friendly places.

Blue x

Yeah I'm sure I'll be fine, a few friends were worried because apparently there's only seafood available I'm sure I'd be able to find something.

What I've found in most restaurants (especially the South, places like Seville) is if you order any salad they automatically sprinkle it with tuna!

Yikes... I'll keep that in mind.

I'm pretty excited especially as it's my first time abroad, thanks for the advice :innocent:

As has been mentioned, in Southern Spain salads often come with tuna and boiled eggs. Also, quite a few vegetable lentil soups and stews have a chicken stock. Vegano is the Spanish for Vegan but unless you are in a more modern area , not a lot of people will understand what that means. Most places are accommodating but they might not understand your requirements unless you are specific. If you are desperate and hungry Patatas Bravas is potatoes with a spicy tomato sauce.

A great breakfast in Southern Spain is toast with mashed up fresh salad tomatoes, with olive oil and optional garlic ( tostada con tomate y ajo). The garlic either comes with the oil or you get a clove to rub over the toast. It is very cheap, filling and a great start to the sunny days.
If you are cooking yourself you will find most large supermarkets have tofu and soy or almond milk, tons of fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts, dates etcetera.

Thanks Roper.

That's quite a lot of useful information...

Not a problem Damo. As you are are in Andalucia you will also have loads of fresh oranges, lemons, hummus, of different types and more olives (aceitunas) you could care to eat.
I live in Spain some of the time, so if you have any more questions I don't mind answering if I can.

Spain was hot, really hot.

I mostly ate chips/salad most of the time because I couldn't find any vegan places, though there was a fairly local buffet where I ate a lot of vegetable stir fry.

I've uploaded a few photos/videos in the gallery if you want to check them out! :D

There were chickens roaming in a local park, chickens?! :neutral: Never seen that before!