Soy variations vs. legumes

zki

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
As I see it, early in my vegan meal planning, there's tofu, tempeh, soy curls, TVP and soy milk which all come from the soy bean, Any helpful comments on all these soy products vs. various other beans (lentil - chic peas - black beans - red beans - navy beans, etc.,) you include in your week of meals. In other words, do you limit the soy products vs. other legumes you eat during each week? Is it a matter of personal taste or do you try to vary? Do you try to eat either soy or legumes at all your meals (not snacks) or do you also use other non-legume - non soy item at some meals like nuts, seeds, quinoa on some meals? I'm trying to put together a typical week's meal plan.

Soy foods and other legumes are good sources of protein and iron.

Calcium-set tofu and calcium-fortified soymilk offer dietary calcium.

Cooked whole legumes (beans, lentils, dried split peas) offer dietary fiber.

The Vegan Society UK recommends eating legumes and/or soy foods at most meals:

I think both Gregar and Fuhrman recommend at least 3 servings of beans a day.

I already eat lots of soymilk and tofu so for the rest I try to vary it as much as possible.

Lentils are easy to prepare and I like them, too. Lentil mushroom stew is one of my favorite meals to make in bulk and then have serving-sized portions in the freezer. I like to have the stew all by itself or over mashed potatoes.

I like baked beans too. Mostly I buy the ones in the can but I've made big batches of these too.

I like peas too and cook up some from frozen on a regular basis and use the peas as a side. I also like to make homemade ramen, typically I will add a cup of peas to my soup.

I add a tbsp of hummus to my bagel sandwiches. I also use hummus in my veggie wraps and sometimes just as a dip for a snack.

in the summer when I eat more salads I will have several kinds of beans prepared to add to my salads.

I love soy curls!
Definitely like to change up textures. This is an easy recipe that uses tempeh, and I think has quite the flavors of sausage -

remember that one cup of soymilk counts as one serving. And I think a couple tbsp of hummus counts as one serving.

Yes - serving sizes are well-summarized on this webpage from Brenda Davis, advisor to the Vegan Society UK:

1578454788141.png

Last edited:
Reactions: zki