Soy curls

Mbeth

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Has anyone prepared meals with soy curls? I bought a bag, not quite sure what I would do with them, but I saw a recipe for soy curls BBQ sandwiches and thought I might try that, since I always used to like BBQ pulled pork. Just curious if anyone has any tips for cooking them, or any other recipe suggestions.

Try Jill McKeever soy curls recipes, on Youtube. She seems a big fan of them. I find her a bit silly, but have tried some of her recipes, adapted for the equipment I have, and they and were quite good. Her recipes I haven't tried seem quite sound. I haven't tried soy curls so I don't have any first- hand experience with them.

I'm bumpin' the Soy Curls recipe thread because I finally found a store in my city that stocks Butler's Soy Curls.

I was planning on cooking some pasta with tomato sauce with soy curls but came here and to youtube for cooking and then this has taken so long I just had a vegan patty and now am planning on trying soy curls tomorrow.

A lot of this has been mentioned in other threads here; soy curls are not like TVP, they are not processed and are more close to the original nutrition of soybeans than TVP. I used to cook with TVP all the time but then went off it because of its drawback of being so processed and tended toward tempeh instead.

In all of the soy curls prep videos, the cooks really make an effort to drain and squeeze out the rehydration water or broth or whatever liquid you choose to rehydrate the soy curls with. Could it be better to flavour soy curls similar to seitan, saving the flavourous liquid for re-adding once cooking of soy curls is under way?

I will probably make a pasta dish beginning with frying rehydrated soy curls with onion, garlic, etc. and then re-adding flavoured rehydration water and tomato.

The last video I add below shows an alternate soy curl prep with rehydrating and cooking simultaneously. Has anyone tried this [yet]? I believe I tried once with TVP and it did not turn out so well, but that was so long ago I am not sure.

So here are some soy curl prep vids I found informative and please share preparation and recipes

We use soy curls almost every day - we put them in soups, noodley soups and I even use the crumbs in my oatmeal to add some protein and body to them.

We do also use them for stir frys although not as often now as we usually have them for lunch. If you have an air fryer they are easy to soak and then put in there. Simnett Nutrition has a video out the last day or so where he did that for his evening meal and they looked delicious.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I'm bumpin' the Soy Curls recipe thread because I finally found a store in my city that stocks Butler's Soy Curls.

In all of the soy curls prep videos, the cooks really make an effort to drain and squeeze out the rehydration water or broth or whatever liquid you choose to rehydrate the soy curls with. Could it be better to flavour soy curls similar to seitan, saving the flavourous liquid for re-adding once cooking of soy curls is under way?

I will probably make a pasta dish beginning with frying rehydrated soy curls with onion, garlic, etc. and then re-adding flavoured rehydration water and tomato.

The last video I add below shows an alternate soy curl prep with rehydrating and cooking simultaneously. Has anyone tried this [yet]? I believe I tried once with TVP and it did not turn out so well, but that was so long ago I am not sure.
Not to me! I rehydrate with water, drain, rinse and press dry. I then add seasoning and saute or add to casserole or whatever. Many people do use broth to rehydrate and cook right with it, but I find the taste they impart in the hydrating liquid is very bad tasting. After rinsing and drying I love them! I would never use the soak liquid
The only exception is when I add to soups or chili where the quantity of broth/sauce is enough to mask it. Well, I have used the crumbs in things where I just throw them in, but again, there;s enough to mask the taste

I've never had soy curls. I will have to try them.
Oh yeah, you do! :yes:
Once rehydrated you can use them just as you would like rotisserie chick'n pieces. They're very good! Make a killer jerky too!
They are truly unlike TVP in every way, I never liked TVP

Ask at the places that have vegan foods, the Butler site doesn't list all store locations
I just ordered from Azure natural foods, 6 8oz bags for $21 to give you some price reference.

I still haven’t used mine yet. I rehydrated some and made the mistake of tasting it plain. Did not like. Then I was at a loss as to how to season them and they went bad in the fridge. ☹️ I need to find an actual recipe that sounds good to me. Just winging it is not going to work at this point. Maybe I’ll try again tomorrow.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
So, I decided to cook my first soy curls into a pasta as I originally planned.

I decided to prepare soy curls like I would seitan: I marinated/rehydrated them in water plus agave, liquid smoke, molasses, organic BBQ spices, garlic salt, maple syrup and soy sauce.

Then, I fried them up with garlic, purple onion, orange and green bell pepper, before also adding asparagus, green onion and liquid tomato sauce. I also added back in the leftover soak/rehydration/marinade and topped off with pepper and organic Italian spices, and served onto wheat seashell pasta.

:) turned out grand & splendid!

So, I decided to cook my first soy curls into a pasta as I originally planned.

I decided to prepare soy curls like I would seitan: I marinated/rehydrated them in water plus agave, liquid smoke, molasses, organic BBQ spices, garlic salt, maple syrup and soy sauce.

Then, I fried them up with garlic, purple onion, orange and green bell pepper, before also adding asparagus, green onion and liquid tomato sauce. I also added back in the leftover soak/rehydration/marinade and topped off with pepper and organic Italian spices, and served onto wheat seashell pasta.

:) turned out grand & splendid!

Yes, like that!

I have learned to soak them in just enough water/bouillon etc to soak it all up and not have leftover liquid, when I am making them to fry up or use for tacos/tortillas etc. A small drop or two of liquid smoke adds an awesome flavour.

I've never had soy curls. what part of the store are they sold in?

I am lucky enough to have one local store that carries them and here is a link to their website for "Where To Buy"
Butler Foods | Where to Buy

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I still haven’t used mine yet. I rehydrated some and made the mistake of tasting it plain. Did not like. Then I was at a loss as to how to season them and they went bad in the fridge. ☹️ I need to find an actual recipe that sounds good to me. Just winging it is not going to work at this point. Maybe I’ll try again tomorrow.
You can try different things with small amounts
You may like this--
Cover well with hot water for like 15 min, pour into a mesh strainer, rinse well and press as well as you can.
Start veggies like onion pepper mushrooms sauteeing and add the curls after a couple minutes.
Make a cornstarch based sauce, kinda thin, and add to the mix. I like soy sauce, pineapple juice (from canned pineapples, I like to add pineapple to the saute--or mandarins), chili garlic paste and like a heaping Tbsp cornstarch and some water
Serve over rice noodles , or rice

Treat the same but add a broth based gravy, like Better then Boullion no chik'n and add cooked mixed veg. i made a great sheperds pie like this

You may like this--
Cover well with hot water for like 15 min, pour into a mesh strainer, rinse well and press as well as you can.
Start veggies like onion pepper mushrooms sauteeing and add the curls after a couple minutes.
Make a cornstarch based sauce, kinda thin, and add to the mix. I like soy sauce, pineapple juice (from canned pineapples, I like to add pineapple to the saute--or mandarins), chili garlic paste and like a heaping Tbsp cornstarch and some water

Treat the same but add a broth based gravy, like Better then Boullion no chik'n and add cooked mixed veg. i made a great sheperds pie like this
Thanks, I’ll try it!

Reactions: Emma JC
A serving of soy curls is only 1 WW point! I’m definitely going to get busy experimenting with it. So excited!
They're good to make without oil too! Great for a white chili, or chowder. Pot pies. Fajitas. Jerky. BBQ.
Are you making these just for youself? Pick out the big pieces, and when you have crumbs left there are all kinds of stuff to use them for, they're like mince

Oh yeah, you do! :yes:
Once rehydrated you can use them just as you would like rotisserie chick'n pieces. They're very good! Make a killer jerky too!
They are truly unlike TVP in every way, I never liked TVP

Ask at the places that have vegan foods, the Butler site doesn't list all store locations
I just ordered from Azure natural foods, 6 8oz bags for $21 to give you some price reference.
That's good to know about them not being like TVP. I never liked TVP, either.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
You may like this--

I finally did it. It’s good but it’s missing something. I didn’t have any pineapple or chili paste so I kept it basic with onions, mushrooms and some Bragg’s amino acids. I think it will taste better when I reheat in the air fryer. But I’m definitely interested. I think I would like the pineapple…something to add a little sweetness. So all in all I’m pleased. The texture is pretty amazing.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC