Sorghum

LoreD

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I have been trying to broaden my grain knowledge by going beyond the rice, quinoa, millet group. I saw Bob's Red Mill Sorghum at the grocery, and decided to give it a try.

Surprisingly tasty, even on its own.

They say you can pop it like popcorn.

Reactions: bEt
I have been trying to broaden my grain knowledge by going beyond the rice, quinoa, millet group. I saw Bob's Red Mill Sorghum at the grocery, and decided to give it a try.

maybe it is just a coincidence but Dr Greger just did a video on sorghum and I would like to pick some up also - let me know what you think!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and bEt
One nice thing about sorghum, in my experience, is that the grains stay very separate when cooked like a porridge or like rice, which is a plus if you prefer that. This is the exact opposite of buckwheat, which I enjoy occasionally, too, although I can't figure out how to cook it 'fluffy', so I only make it for myself.

I think I've also seen sorghum flour recommended as a wheat replacement for people who don't tolerate wheat for whatever reason. I think it's related to millet and teff maybe?

I have been hearing some good things about this grain. I am going to order some soon.

What Is Fonio? Nutrition, Benefits, Uses, and More

Fonio is an African heritage grain — or ancient grain — that’s considered the continent’s oldest cultivated cereal (1).

Native to West Africa, it’s a staple most commonly enjoyed in the mountainous areas of countries like Burkina Faso, Guinea, Senegal, Mali, and Nigeria (1).

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and bEt

I did the same thing a few years ago. I made the recipe on the package. I thought it was okay, but it was too high in calories for me and I never had it again.

• Informative
Reactions: bEt and Emma JC
I've popped it in a microwave. Came out fine, it's smaller than our regular popcorn. Didn't make enough of an impression on us to pop it again. As a grain, we enjoy it from time to time. Availability locally is more of an issue.

Whole grains really are fantastic. It's so amazing how refined grains can make me feel so lethargic but whole grains give so much energy and endurance!

How did you prepare it?
Just like rice. I tried some plain. It had a nutty flavor, and had more flavor than rice or millet. I put a some in a bowl of soup, and it was good too. It seems to be okay to use just like rice.

I made a bunch of it, and froze it.

I'm going to try this for breakfast tomorrow. It looked really good.

Sorghum Breakfast Bowl

Serves: 1 (recipe multiplies easily for more servings)

• 1 cup cooked sorghum (see cooking note)
  • ½ cup almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar, or to taste
  • ½ medium apple, cored and diced
  • ½ small banana, sliced
  • ¼ cup granola, any variety
  • Coconut yogurt, as desired
  • Cinnamon

1696912864987.png