Something to ponder

Paul Bradford

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
This is the lounge area where we are invited to discuss any particular topic that might prove interesting, if it's not of interest then the discussion will die, if it gets abusive it will be killed!!
Following on from an earlier thread, but quite by accident, I came across this video, perhaps
@Nekodaiden and @Forest Nymph might like to comment..

While I can appreciate that established science must be questioned with further science...please note that it needs to be questioned with further science, not random philosophical postulating and posturing. I'm guessing just from the title and description that probably the person giving the TED talk doesn't get that, but the thing is...no, it's not equivalent or intelligent to knock science with some armchair hypothesis that lacks a basic understanding of the world. Science is constantly open to new research and extensive peer review. I can watch this later, I saved it, but I think I already know what's going on here.

In fact this comment by Nick Karean on the video essentially summarizes my thoughts:

"Basically, in summary, this is pseudoscience vs authentic science - whereby, pseudoscience or rather science fiction desperately wants a place within the authentic scientific community, and also to be taken seriously as authentic science so that cheating people their money with all sorts of mumbo jumbo and woo woos will be much more easier. But since it does not get accepted from being indemonstrable and passing any scientific method processes, tests, and experiments, it resorts to public manipulation and declares authentic science as delusional by means of making more delusional claims. Now, surely TED is not going to approve the broadcast of such misleading information to represent its reputable and trustworthy channel. Case closed. Next..."

Reactions: mavrick45
Science is hard for me, I am not well educated and rely on more intelligent, better educated people to guide me. But when they get it wrong they say well we made a mistake , but that mistake was believed and trusted by less educated people and it caused a lot of harm
Example, my mum and dad were both brown eyed, their 6th daughter was blue eyed, according to all the " scientific knowledge" of the time it was not possible. Mum was accused of all sorts of adultery all her cries of innocence were lies. If 1 child was not dads why then should he pay for any of the others. Mum was labelled a scarlet woman, and all the children were not any better and were all disowned by both families.
Fast forward to D.N.A testing and what do you know, mum is proved right ( science proving science wrong ) we are all dads kids but he is dead, ( went to his grave believing he had no children) and we are still disowned from both families. The scientists and doctors will not take responsibilities for the harm they have caused, or just don't care that families are torn apart from their mistakes.
I am wary of science when they will not listen to people like my mum and hurt needlessly to preserve their own egos.

Thank you, Paul. I really enjoyed this TED talk. The questions are fun and interesting. I think I'd enjoy reading his book. This is my kind of entertainment.