How to naturally prevent black beetles from through my window?

Animallover21

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
So I live on the second floor and outside my window there is basically an alley way type area , however it is enclosed between my apt building and the other apt area. Not sure how to explain, and this is as best as I can for now.
Its really really sad because 'down there' is basically a pigeon graveyard. There are dead pigeons down there. And the whole area is covered with poop. I cannot have my windows open or bugs will come in. It is a safety hazard, but if anything is done about it (my apt building doesn't own that area) the pigeons who live back there will be killed. A flock lives back there. There is a nest across my window on the other windowsill. And I have seen nests on the ground. :'(

Anyway, so, I had to buy an AC because my apt complex doesn't provide ACs to anyone and my bunny cannot go through what I did last year with the heat or she would die as she needs it to be under 75 degrees, so I had to get one. Well the AC doesn't sit in the window but I have a vent that attaches to the window so the hot air can go out. Well either through the tiny cracks that the window kit doesn't cover or through the actual vent.... Black ground beetles are somehow getting in.
Also last year when I was new to this place I would leave my window open. Bad idea. Soon I started finding black beetles. It took me a while to find them all as I had a slipper underneath my couch and didn't realize it and they decided to use it as their new home. Found like 7 in there. And probably found 7 more throughout my place. Some I just found dead in my kitchen. Ughhh. So gross!!!!!!!

I am really scared of bugs. But we all are. Thinking about this is making me cringe so bad. TORCH THE PLACE. JK!

Well so far I have found two beetles. One today and one during the weekend. One actually woke me up when I was sleeping as it apparently was crawling on my head. Didn't know what it was then but the next morning found a dead beetle on the ground. So yeah. Scary so scary.

And then I picked my bunnies blanket up to shake it off before I went to put it in the washer. It was a black blanket . well a frickin beetle fell off it. So gross.

I am assuming they would crawl through the vent of my ac when it wasn't turned on. Cause I don't always have it on but would still keep it attached to the window. But now I won't do that. No. I now am taking it out anytime I am not using it.

I don't want to go to bed. Too scared one will get me in my sleep.

A moth got into my place which is fine. But just a second ago I was lying down ready for bed and I might have sat up, I don't remember, but out of no where that damn moth like attacked me. Haha not really, but it flew into my face. And scared me.

So now I don't wanna go to bed because I am scared of bugs and what the darkness will hide. Haha . 0_____0

Yes I am a weeny but its scary to think of bugs being in your house especially with the lights off because if there is one lurking near you you cannot see what it's up to. Ahhhhh don't wanna sleep.

Question is... How do I get rid of these black beetles naturally? Isn't there something I can use or make that I can put or spray on or around the openings of my window or on the end of the AC vent? Something that also won't hurt my bunny. Also something that won't hurt the pigeons right across my window and all the other ones who live back there and hang around my window.

Help me please ahhhhhhh.
Haha. :'(

Last edited:
Thank you. I never thought of these ideas.

Would it be a fire hazard if I cut out a piece of window screen and tape it to the vent opening? It would have to be right on the opening I taped it too.

Can you buy window screen material at the store?

Thank you!!!!! I will buy the foam tape on Friday since I get paid.

If you want to be sure, I think there is also metal window screen mesh (though it likely will be more expensive).

Thank you. I never thought of these ideas.

Would it be a fire hazard if I cut out a piece of window screen and tape it to the vent opening? It would have to be right on the opening I taped it too.

Can you buy window screen material at the store?

Thank you!!!!! I will buy the foam tape on Friday since I get paid.

I don't think it would be a fire hazard, does the vent get hot or anything? It is not on the machine, but at the end of like a big hose vent?

Yes, you can buy screening stuff at the hardware type store, you may be able to get away with buying a small patch of screen that is made for repairing a hole in the screen and taping it to the vent opening. You are in the US? Home Depot or Lowe's or any hardware store should have the stuff.

Try not to freak about the beetles. I used to be terrified of flying insects, I would run away from them. I made myself not run a few times, and watched some insect documentaries, and convinced myself not to freak out. It worked, now I can even catch wasps that sneak into the porch with a butterfly net and put them outside. With just a few EEEEEKS from me lol.

Reactions: KLS52