US Some People Bitten by the Lone Star Tick Develop an Allergy to Meat

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
https://www.buzzfeed.com/theresatam...-anaphylaxis?utm_term=.oiYDKz5rx4#.oiYDKz5rx4

What I found amusing was the reaction to the idea that developing an allergy to meat is a horrific result of the tick bite. It’s like the recommendations I’ve seen on the internet on what people who are allergic to dairy can do to “get over” their allergy, so they don’t have to “miss out” on anything, despite the fact that there are now numerous dairy substitutes, plus large numbers of people who are genetically allergic to dairy, such as Asians, manage just fine without it.

I was reading a thread where someone was being mocked for complaining they couldn't have meat, but they then said it's such a bad allergy even cross contamination can send them to a hospital!
I guess it varies in severity.

I have read two things about this

1) It can be really shitty and life-threatening for some of the people affected, so not exactly a laughing matter
2) Someone on a vegan forum reported that two of their omnivorous family members had got it ... and their solution then was - instead of, e.g. going vegan - to continue to eat meat and take some anti-allergic medicine to reduce the negative impact :fp:

Even if a person gets this side effect without hospitalization, tick-bourne diseases are often no joke. My mom went from someone who rides bicycles across North America to someone who barely has energy to cook dinner from what’s in the freezer.