The Tick That Can Make You a Vegetarian

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Ticks have always grossed me out, especially when they are swelled up and full of blood. :yuck: This one is kind cool though. No wait, it's still gross.

If you love bacon, then you ought to be careful about getting a bite from a lone star tick — unlike other tick bites, which can spread diseases like Lyme disease, a lone star tick bite can actually make you allergic to red meat.
A single bite from a lone star tick can significantly raise antibodies to alpha-gal, a sugar carbohydrate found in beef, pork and lamb, and the elevated antibodies cause a meat allergy. This alpha-gal allergy is only found in people bitten by the lone star tick, though researchers are uncertain what in the bite is triggering the response. Symptoms can include hives, vomiting, asthma, headache, and in extreme cases, anaphylactic shock, leading to death. Stanley Fineman, an allergist and president of American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI) says, "It takes 4-to-6 hours to see a reaction, so many people don't correlate that to their meat, or hamburger or something. It's easy to miss."
There is a 32% higher chance of contracting the allergy and subsequent forced vegetarianism among those living in central or southern portions of the United States — but don't breathe a sigh of relief if you live outside the area. According to the CDC, which is tracking the tick for spreading southern tick-associated rash illness (STARI), the range and number of ticks has been increasing and large numbers have been found as far north as Maine and as far west as central Texas and Oklahoma. The lone star tick is particularly nasty and aggressive, biting even in the larval stage, unlike other ticks...

http://io9.com/5981332/the-tick-that-can-make-you-a-vegetarian

I'm questioning their definition of "vegetarian" if it's only "red meat" that people can no longer eat.

It is said that all the creatures of nature serve some useful purpose. I always thought ticks were one of the exceptions, but that's apparently not the case for this particular tick!