So.. alcohol

Josie

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
When I first went vegan, it hadn't occurred to me to check my wine. But then someone shattered my dreams and sent me on a huge mission that I'm still tasting my way through lol. So yes, wine drinkers, beer drinkers etc, find a good directory like www.barnivore.com and check to see if your faves are vegan or not. If it's not on the list, you can contact the companies directly to ask. I've had to ask about a few brands myself now and they've been very honest about it.. no word play or beating around the bush like another industry I'm so fond of lol.

You are so wise, because it is astounding the things used to produce wine. I am glad the producers are honest with you. There is no shortage of customers for them, so I guess they feel it won't hurt to tell the truth. I actually make my own wine and it works for me.

I'm too skeptical to take a manufacturers words at face value. I'd indulge them if they've committed their product(s) freely and of their own volition to the scrutiny of third party societies (preferably more than one) whom I am more inclined to trust, societies such as the UK vegan society.

I'm too skeptical to take a manufacturers words at face value. I'd indulge them if they've committed their product(s) freely and of their own volition to the scrutiny of third party societies (preferably more than one) whom I am more inclined to trust, societies such as the UK vegan society.

Well, everyone I've contacted has been upfront. None of them have been vegan aside from a couple I didn't like anyway. I'm officially alcohol free lol.

I try to brew my own alcohol because I'm always skeptical about whether or not they're really vegan.

If you like to drink beer, the situation is not so difficult.

German beer brewed in Germany by definition has to be vegan, as it is only allowed to be produced from 3 ingredients (water, barley, hops) according to the German "Law of Purity" since 1516.

Typically, German beer also does taste quite nice (although, of course, some do taste nicer than others).

But yes, otherwise, Barnivore.com is your friend :)

Best regards,
Andy

German beer brewed in Germany by definition has to be vegan, as it is only allowed to be produced from 3 ingredients (water, barley, hops) according to the German "Law of Purity" since 1516.

Typically, German beer also does taste quite nice (although, of course, some do taste nicer than others).

Best regards,
Andy

Great tip, thank you! :)

Any unfiltered beer is pretty much OK as well because it is the filtering situation/clarification situation that is the issue. So just drink unfiltered beer which is about all I really like any way!

Best regards,
Andy
German beer it is then!

the issue is the finnings which are used post brew to clear the liquid and stop it from being cloudy by dropping the sediment. some finnings are made from swim bladders of fish hence naughty. this is only really and issue for wines and cask ales. general filtered beers should be mostly ok but its good to check.

I'm a wine drinker myself. And a very picky one at that.. not a wine snob, I just like it sweet and sadly, they don't make a lot of sweet wines with that perfect balance for me. So this has been a very hard mission I've put myself on lol. I've found VERY few wines to put on my "to try list" and the wine stores don't carry them here. I tried one so far and it was way too sweet. So far.. no vegan wine for this vegan lush lol.

As most people aren't aware some wines aren't totally vegetarian/vegan many wouldn't know what to ask if they are in a bar or restaurant. It won't say on the label, but if it is organic or you are in a health food place or vegan/vegetarian restaurant then it usually will be.

Also in Italy as many make their own wine, that will usually not use any animal by products either as they make everything fresh and don't need to preserve things for long.