Slow Cooker Recipes

Did it change? I watched the pilot and was yelling at them all!
I am not sure I understand the question? I love This is Us and am a big fan! I admit the way it is made with the flashbacks was confusing and annoying at first but then you get used to it and it is a great show.

MOD POST: We have gone way off topic and I may move these posts which are highly informative,to another section .

Thanks, @shyvas ! (Sorry I got the thread partially-derailed)

Back on topic: I made a batch of brown rice in my slow cooker. I've washed it out, and will be baking some red potatoes in it next.

Slow- cookers are also great for cooking dried beans of all kinds. It takes a long time (even if you pre-soak them), but the beans never seem to boil over and make a mess (like they do on the stovetop, unless I watch them very carefully). The one thing I've tried cooking in a crockpot which just didn't work was white rice- and this was the kind that takes 20 minutes to cook, not instant. It just took to long and the rice turned kind of pasty- almost gelatinous. I ate it anyway, but... yuck.

Last edited:
I made Garbanzo beans and rice in my slow cooker this week:

I soaked the beans overnight. In the morning, I rinsed them and put them in the slow-cooker with 4 glasses of water, turning it on "high". About 3 hours later, the beans were almost done and I added 2 glasses of brown rice; this brought the contents almost to the top of the cooker. I stirred maybe every 20 minutes and turned the heat off when the water was almost absorbed, then let it sit for maybe 30 minutes more. I ate maybe 1/3 of it for lunch, left the cooker covered, and put the rest in the fridge after it had cooled somewhat. (Sorry the "recipe" is so imprecise. But it came out quite well).

Slow- cookers are also great for cooking dried beans of all kinds. It takes a long time (even if you pre-soak them), but the beans never seem to boil over and make a mess (like they do on the stovetop, unless I watch them very carefully). The one thing I've tried cooking in a crockpot which just didn't work was white rice- and this was the kind that takes 20 minutes to cook, not instant. It just took to long and the rice turned kind of pasty- almost gelatinous. I ate it anyway, but... yuck.

This part I disagree with - red and white kidney beans are not recommended to be cooked in a slow cooker as they have toxins that need to be boiled out and that doesn't happen in a slow cooker. Do your own research for sure or here is a link that explains it:
Is it Safe to Cook Beans in a Slow Cooker?

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L. and Lou
Prepared popcorn in cooker
I don't have a slow cooker anymore but I have an InstantPot
so I was wondering.... if you could make popcorn in a slow cooker can you make it in an Instant pot.
and according to this you can.
I think I'll try it tonight and watch some more Stranger Things. I'll let you guys know.

Reactions: HappyRoxy
This part I disagree with - red and white kidney beans are not recommended to be cooked in a slow cooker as they have toxins that need to be boiled out and that doesn't happen in a slow cooker. Do your own research for sure or here is a link that explains it:
Is it Safe to Cook Beans in a Slow Cooker?

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
THANK YOU for bringing that to my attention! I could almost swear I'd made chili with red beans in my crock-pot, but I did some googling and came across other references to that effect.

Reactions: Emma JC