Slow Cooker Recipes

I have just learned about slow cookers, definitely sounds intriguing.

Might consider getting one.....

I love my slow cooker( I have two-small & medium ) and you can make both savoury and desserts that taste
delicious.

Moreover, they don't use a lot of electricity so it works out cheaper than using the hob or oven.

Reactions: ledboots
I pulled out a sachet of frozen butternut squash from my freezer as I want to empty it. I am making a self saucing pumpkin and sticky toffee pudding for dessert in the slow cooker.

The aroma is gorgeous.

I need a new slow cooker. The one I had isn't working properly, but it was more than 25 years old, so I can't complain. I love making things in it, especially spaghetti sauce and a really tasty apple cake.

Reactions: shyvas
I made spaghetti sauce in my slow cooker once, and wasn't really happy with the result. It was way too thin, even for me, as I prefer a thinner sauce in general. I'm guessing it's because you cook with the cover on? Can you make sauce in a slow cooker without the lid?

I made spaghetti sauce in my slow cooker once, and wasn't really happy with the result. It was way too thin, even for me, as I prefer a thinner sauce in general. I'm guessing it's because you cook with the cover on? Can you make sauce in a slow cooker without the lid?

You can't use a slow cooker without the lid as the heat will escape and the food will not cook. Can"t you just adjust
your recipe ? I often make dishes with tomatoes and the sauce comes out quite thick.

So start out with a thick sauce? I suppose I can. [emoji4]

Reactions: ledboots
You definitely need the lid, otherwise the heat will escape. I don't know what your recipe is, but mine calls for tomato paste as well as tomatoes. If you don't use paste, maybe you could add a small can of it.

You definitely need the lid, otherwise the heat will escape. I don't know what your recipe is, but mine calls for tomato paste as well as tomatoes. If you don't use paste, maybe you could add a small can of it.
I do not use paste anymore, but I used to. Don't know why I didn't think of it...makes sense.

We have recently gotten a slow cooker/crock pot. I use to have one many years ago but now have to re-learn how to use one. So far we have made a soup/stew and Boston baked beans. I am quite interested in the potato cooking in one as we do love potatoes!

So start out with a thick sauce? I suppose I can.
emoji4.png

As earlier stated, I am not (yet) knowledgeable about slow cookers, but what about adding more onions to your tomato sauce? They typically are used to create a thicker gravy (in all those horrible meat recipes like goulash) ...

Reactions: KLS52
I'm making Boston style pinto beans with sliced seitan and sweet potatoes in the slow cooker for tonight's dinner. As it is very chilly, I'm really looking forward to it.:)

Reactions: PTree15
I've been using my slow cooker quite a bit lately. As @Mischief posted (back in 2015!), baked potatoes are easy in a slow-cooker. But as @KLS52 posted (about the same time!), I'm skittish about leaving it on when I'm not home. I sometimes leave it on overnight, which is wierd... but my fire-protection devices would wake me if anything went wrong. I guess I'm confident that I could wake up, get out, and call the fire department if anything happened at night.

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52

I googled for info about fires caused by slow-cookers. Evidently it happens, but not commonly. As I mentioned, I was worried most about something happening when I was either asleep or away. Ranges, microwaves, and toasters were the primary causes of cooking-related fires by far.... but who leaves a microwave, stove, or toaster unattended for a long time? Toasters are supposed to pop up after a minute or two, and I'm sure I can wait for my toast after I get home.

Last edited:
Back when I was working I would add stuff to the slow cooker in the morning and go to work. I was only home when it started and ended. I'm pretty sure they have safety features built in.