Shrove Tuesday/Pancake Day - 5 th March

My Mum always used to make them with lemons and sugar on Shrove Tuesday. I always remember going to mass the next day for Ash Wednesday and having ash rubbed on my forehead.:D

I prefer savoury pancakes, although I do like the smaller Scotch pancakes.
When i was a carnivore, i liked bliny with red caviar, salmon, condensed milk and sour cream mixed with raspberry chutney.o_O

I dunno, our blinis don't contain yeast.:shrug:
P.S.... As a rule, they are made of white flour, kefir and eggs, + salt, sugar, baking soda, and butter.

Believe it or not but I stumbled across The Hairy Bikers cooking programme yesterday ( a duo who do cooking shows across the UK and abroad) and they made blinis in St Petersburg !:yes:
;) Their recipe using buckwheat flour and yeast (minus the eggs and dairy) is the one I use.

The also made some aubergine & walnut caviar to go with the blinis. I would never have thought of pairing the two and have bookmarked the recipe. I think that it would make a nice nibble with Summer cocktails in the garden.

Aubergine and walnut caviar on blinis - Videos - Hairy Bikers

Reactions: Brian W and Val
Believe it or not but I stumbled across The Hairy Bikers cooking programme yesterday ( a duo who do cooking shows across the UK and abroad) and they made blinis in St Petersburg !:yes:
;) Their recipe using buckwheat flour and yeast (minus the eggs and dairy) is the one I use.

The also made some aubergine & walnut caviar to go with the blinis. I would never have thought of pairing the two and have bookmarked the recipe. I think that it would make a nice nibble with Summer cocktails in the garden.

Aubergine and walnut caviar on blinis - Videos - Hairy Bikers
Aaaa...! Eurica!:p I thought you were talking about nutritional yeast, i even don't know why.:iiam: What about ordinary yeast,- yes, many people make "drozhzheviye bliny" ("yeast blinis"). I've never liked them: they were too fat and dry for my liking, i could hardly digest them, they tasted like dried grass to me. My dad used to make another kind of bliny: very thin, sour, a little wet inside. Those were tasty! But that's my dad. I can say though, that when i was an omni, i tried bliny in the special fast food chain "Tjeremok" (it's very popular, and it makes dishes which, at least, look like traditional russian and ukranian meals). But the food there is super greasy and, in my opinion, even more malicious than in McDuck. Well, "Tjeremok" and other fast food chains now make bliny without yeast, or they put so little quantity into them, that it cannot be felt. My ex bf was a real fan of such kind of blinis with various fillings: most of all he loved rolled bliny with salmon or red caviar inside. I couldn't look at him devouring bliny and burgers every day without tears, but i could do nothing.
P.S. And as far as i know, my granny Nina didn't use yeast either. My sister has been making bliny for this Maslenitsa, - also without yeast,- she was telling me about them and showing photos (they looked pretty normal). The other side of the medal, is that if people don't put yeast,- they, as a rule, add too much eggs. This "recipe" is even more disgusting (IMO).

Last edited:
Aaaa...! Eurica!:p I thought you were talking about nutritional yeast, i even don't know why.:iiam: What about ordinary yeast,- yes, many people make "drozhzheviye bliny" ("yeast blinis"). I've never like them: they were too fat and dry for my liking, i could hardly digest them, they tasted like dried grass to me. My dad used to make another kind of bliny: very thin, sour, a little wet inside. Those were tasty! But that's my dad. I can say though, that when i was an omni, i tried bliny in the special fast food chain "Tjeremok" (it's very popular, and it makes dishes which, at least, look like traditional russian and ukranian meals). But the food there is super greasy and, in my opinion, even more malicious than in McDuck. Well, "Tjeremok" and other fast food chains now make bliny without yeast, or they put so little quantity into them, that it cannot be felt. My ex bf was a real fan of such kind of blinis with various fillings: most of all he loved rolled bliny with salmon or red caviar inside. I couldn't look at him devouring bliny and burgers every day without tears, but i could do nothing.
P.S. And as far as i know, my granny Nina didn't use yeast either. My sister has been making bliny for this Maslenitsa, - also without yeast,- she was telling me about them and showing photos (they looked pretty normal). The other side of the medal, is that if people don't put yeast,- they, as a rule, add too much eggs. This "recipe" is even more disgusting (IMO).

I did mean baker's yeast. In recipes they either state fresh or dried and never baker's. I always use dried yeast. These words and terms can get confusing at times.

I must make a batch of blinis with that HB's caviar recipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Val