Shrove Tuesday/Pancake Day - 5 th March

I'm away from home and my friend doesn't have maple syrup as far as I can tell. She is gluten-free, so she might have other flours I could use, though. I will come up with something.

Reactions: Val
I'm away from home and my friend doesn't have maple syrup as far as I can tell. She is gluten-free, so she might have other flours I could use, though. I will come up with something.
I like mine better with jam. Been meaning to make some with oat flour, by just grinding some oats. I don't have any now as I didn't go to the store where I buy them in bulk
Or buckwheat

It’s Fat Tuesday in my world. :D

“Shrove Tuesday is a reminder that Christians are entering a season of penance and was originally a solemn day. But over the centuries, in anticipation of the Lenten fast that would begin the next day, Shrove Tuesday took on a festive nature. That is why Shrove Tuesday is also known as Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras (which is simply French for Fat Tuesday).”

It’s Fat Tuesday in my world. :D

“Shrove Tuesday is a reminder that Christians are entering a season of penance and was originally a solemn day. But over the centuries, in anticipation of the Lenten fast that would begin the next day, Shrove Tuesday took on a festive nature. That is why Shrove Tuesday is also known as Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras (which is simply French for Fat Tuesday).”
I know the names Shrove Tuesday/Fat Tuesday (although growing up Lutheran, no emphasis was ever placed on the day), but I wasn't aware of any association with pancakes.

Ash Wednesday and all the associated papist faradiddle were largely ignored. :p

I only just recently heard of pancakes the last few years. It was probably here, now that I think about it lol.

I only just recently heard of pancakes the last few years. It was probably here, now that I think about it lol.

I remember Pancake Day as being a big thing when I was a youngster.;) There was always a lot of buzz at school by the thought of having tons of pancakes for dessert.

My mum would always make them for dessert. They were neither too thin, neither too thick. They were always served with a squirt of freshly pressed lemon juice and a tiny sprinkle of sugar. Not too sweet (no sugar added to the batter) with that perfect balance to them.

Pancake Day in London

I'm glad to hear that! I was feeling as though I've been living in a bubble. :p
I would like to live in that bubble too (not always), (where no Maslenitsa exists), or, lets say, Paskha. For instance, russians are going crazy about their pancakes. But Paskha is worse: all the grocers are stuffed with "kulichee" (huge cupcakes, which have a religious meaning). I mean, seriously??- They are not even tasty!
What about Maslenitsa,- people often overeat during these days and being put in hospitalso_O. As i mentioned before, russians are not familiar with the expression "Everything in moderation".:D My sister has made a bunch of "bliny" too. Bliny = wide thin pancakes. They symbolize "colo" or "colovorot" (the winter rotation of the Sun). Blin itself is a symbol of ancient slavic god Yarilo (sun god, the most worshiped god in slavic world). It's been somewhat of a prayer (spell): "S nami sila - nash bog Yarilo" ("Our force is with us,- it's our god Yarilo"). That's why we have many words, derived from his name: "yar", "yarostnyi", "yarovoy posev", "yarochka", "yarmo", etc.

Last edited:
I would like to live in that bubble too (not always), (where no Maslenitsa exists), or, lets say, Paskha. For instance, russians are going crazy about their pancakes. But Paskha is worse: all the grocers are stuffed with "kulichee" (huge cupcakes, which have a religious meaning). I mean, seriously??- They are not even tasty!
What about Maslenitsa,- people often overeat during these days and being put in hospitalso_O. As i mentioned before, russians are not familiar with the expression "Everything in moderation".:D My sister has made a bunch of "bliny" too. Bliny = wide thin pancakes. They symbolize "colo" or "colovorot" (the winter rotation of the Sun). Blin itself is a symbol of ancient slavic god Yarilo (sun god, the most worshiped god in slavic world). It's been somewhat of a prayer (spell): "S nami sila - nash bog Yarilo" ("Our force is with us,- it's our god Yarilo"). That's why we have many words, derived from his name: "yar", "yarostnyi", "yarovoy posev", "yarochka", "yarmo", etc.

I like blinis. I used to make them and served them with savoury toppings plus sour cream. I like anything that contains yeast.;)

I like blinis. I used to make them and served them with savoury toppings plus sour cream. I like anything that contains yeast.;)
I dunno, our blinis don't contain yeast.:shrug:
P.S.... As a rule, they are made of white flour, kefir and eggs, + salt, sugar, baking soda, and butter.

I dunno, our blinis don't contain yeast.:shrug:
P.S.... As a rule, they are made of white flour, kefir and eggs, + salt, sugar, baking soda, and butter.

Perhaps it has something to do with regional cooking. Recipes vary and change depending on where you live.

I have always used yeast and part buckwheat flour when making them. They have a distinct yeast and slightly sour flavour compared to plain pancakes.
I also like to use yeast when making waffles. This is also a Flemish tradition.

My Mum always used to make them with lemons and sugar on Shrove Tuesday. I always remember going to mass the next day for Ash Wednesday and having ash rubbed on my forehead.:D

I prefer savoury pancakes, although I do like the smaller Scotch pancakes.

Reactions: KLS52 and Val