Should I do blood work on my cat?

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Trying to decide what to do about my 15 year old cat Gizmo. He has something wrong, possibly diabetes or hyperthyroidism. He's drinks and pees a lot, and has been for a few years. He's also lost some weight. But he eats normally, mostly small meals throughout the day, and occasionally plays. He usually has a spurt of energy in the morning, sometimes in the evening, and is really playful but tires out after about 10 minutes. No vomiting or diarrhea.

I only take him to the vet when absolutely necessary because he panics really badly and always hurts himself in the carrier. The last time I had a mobile vet come out so he wouldn't be so traumatized. I'm wondering if I should have the mobile vet come out again and do a blood test for the hyperthyroidism. I definitely can't afford more than that (they suggested a full blood panel), heck I can't really afford the single blood test. The cost for that is coming out of the rent money and I'm not working now so I have no idea how to replace that money.

Gizmo is really sensitive and I know he wouldn't tolerate getting insulin if it's diabetes, so I've been trying to mainly feed him low carb wet cat food. Just giving him a pill is a nightmare and he spends his time hiding from me afterwards. So, it wouldn't be much of a life if he spent is continuously hiding.

If it's the hyperthyroidism, that can be treated with gel for his ear which is doable. He doesn't like his ears touched, but he won't freak out like he would for a pill or injection.

He also has some arthritis so there are crates and things all over for him to be able to climb onto things, even the counters. :p

His symptoms:
Drinks and pees a lot
Weight loss
Sensitive to certain sounds

So, should I get the thyroid test done or does it sound like something else?

That is such a hard call. My Cybil had those symptoms and every time we checked her thyroid it was fine. She ended up with renal failure and I was administering subq fluids every other day for the last six months of her life. Based on Gizmo's age, there is a chance his kidneys are failing.

You can certainly go for the thyroid test but keep in mind you just might be ruling out hyperthyroidism and then end up having to test for something else.

I'm sorry he isn't feeling well. I certainly understand the financial aspect of it. And having a cat that doesn't travel well makes it even harder. Bogart was like that...it was torture. Maybe you can talk to the vet first and see what they think?

I can't remember the exact details (it's probably on this forum somewhere) but I had the same symptoms with my oldest cat. She was given blood tests and she had her thyroid tested and the vet advised to have her thyroid removed on one side. The vet said that it was cheaper to have the tablets for the thyroid problem but in the long run it was better to have the operation.

My cat has been okay in that respect since but she has had a few seizures. The vet said if she has a lot of fits then we need to bring her in again.

I understand about the trip to the vets though as a few of my animals seem traumatised too. :(

I would do it. Some vets even offer a 'senior blood work' package that includes a complete blood count, chemistry, t4 (that's the thyroid test), and a urinalysis. Those tests alone would be able to rule out diabetes, hyperthyroidism, and cancer, among other things. It will probably run you about $200, though.

I hope Gizmo is okay!! Keep us posted!! My kitties are around the same age, seeing them get old it tough. :kitty:

I went through it five times in the last six years with my senior cats. It's so hard. And here I thought I was going to have it easy because I'm starting over with young cats...Ben is 4, Bratt and Joon are almost 2 and Stella is 10 months...then Bratt goes and breaks his darned leg!

I hate that it's so expensive for vet care. I believe there would be a lot less cats in shelters if caring for them was more affordable. :( I know I would have more...I just saw one online who was rescued from a feral colony. She was so overweight she could hardly move...and she was declawed. The shelter where I got Bogart from rescued her and they are looking for a foster/adoptive family who will put her on a strict diet and who doesn't have any other cats. I would do it in a heartbeat if I didn't already have my hands full. I'm going to follow her case...hopefully, someone will step up and take her in.

Please keep us updated on Gizzy. ((((hug))))

I spoke to the vet and she said she didn't think it was urgent and that it could wait for a little bit while I'll get the money. She also said the technician could come out since it's just a blood draw and that would save me $60, so it would be around $225ish.

Reactions: Dedalus
That's super expensive - I can get a whole blood panel for a lot less, but then, you live in California, don't you?

I have done subcu fluids with so many cats over the years. It seems as though, if they live long enough, renal failure is almost inevitable for cats. I don't think I will do it again, though. As I get older myself, I'm finding myself favoring quality of life over prolonging the inevitable. Or maybe it's simply that I don't have the heart to do it any more.

I'm in the Midwest, Scorpius.

I just took an elderly cat in for a sinus flush, which involves anesthesia. I had pre-op blood work done, since he's elderly, and he had post op pain medication. Total cost, $127.

That's super expensive - I can get a whole blood panel for a lot less, but then, you live in California, don't you?

I have done subcu fluids with so many cats over the years. It seems as though, if they live long enough, renal failure is almost inevitable for cats. I don't think I will do it again, though. As I get older myself, I'm finding myself favoring quality of life over prolonging the inevitable. Or maybe it's simply that I don't have the heart to do it any more.

That's why I was originally only going to check for hyperthyroidism, the treatment for it isn't traumatic, just some gel on the ears. Although I will get the full panel when I get the money.
If Gizmo were to be diabetic, as sensitive as he is, his life would be hell getting daily injections and constant blood tests. So, instead of the injections, I would just have to be more strict about his food, and stop giving him high carb treats which I should probably stop doing anyway. But he loves licking watermelon and strawberries (actually any fruit). My other two cats though, would probably be able to tolerate getting the injections.

The same for sub-q fluids, I wouldn't do that to him. What good is giving him fluids so he can spend all of his time hiding from me to avoid getting the fluids? There was a 21 year old cat at this one sanctuary and she was so miserable. She was skin and bones so they were constantly giving her fluids and she would just lay there and cry and growl, even after it was done. She could barely walk, and couldn't stand having other cats near her or to be touched. You could tell she was in pain, but they insisted on giving her the fluids and keeping her alive. It was horrible to see. :(

I just took an elderly cat in for a sinus flush, which involves anesthesia. I had pre-op blood work done, since he's elderly, and he had post op pain medication. Total cost, $127.

Wow, that is cheap.

Every cat is different and you have to assess each situation accordingly. You know Gizmo best...you should trust your instinct.

Reactions: ledboots
One thing I meant to say about the cat carriers is I have left a few of the carriers out with pillows or blankets inside dotted around the house, so the cats can sit in them if they want. I found that some of the cats respond better when I have to take them to the vet since I started doing that.

There was a 21 year old cat at this one sanctuary and she was so miserable. She was skin and bones so they were constantly giving her fluids and she would just lay there and cry and growl, even after it was done. She could barely walk, and couldn't stand having other cats near her or to be touched. You could tell she was in pain, but they insisted on giving her the fluids and keeping her alive. It was horrible to see. :(

That is awful.:( I definitely think you can tell when an animal has lost a lot of quality of life. I had to have one of my cats put to sleep a few years ago even though my husband wanted to see if he improved, but it was clear to me that it would be cruel to let the cat carry on like that.

Every cat is different and you have to assess each situation accordingly. You know Gizmo best...you should trust your instinct.
I know you gave your cat fluids and he did well on them. I feel terrible saying I wouldn't gave that to him if he needed it. He's just so fussy and can't stand being restrained in any way. He has never liked to be held or sit on a lap, doesn't like to go under the blankets with the other cats. Always hurts himself in a carrier trying to get out, which is why I now use a mobile vet for him. I can only trim a few nails now before he gets upset and hides in the closet. I leave the door open so they can go in and out.

Luckily, he doesn't need that now; he's lost weight but he's not thin as far as I can tell. He has a lot of hair so it's hard to tell. And I know things are different when you're actually faced with the choice, so who knows.

One thing I meant to say about the cat carriers is I have left a few of the carriers out with pillows or blankets inside dotted around the house, so the cats can sit in them if they want. I found that some of the cats respond better when I have to take them to the vet since I started doing that.
I have two of them sitting open in the room because the other cats like sleeping in them occasionally. Gizmo will every so often lay down in one for a few minutes, but at the slightest sound or if anyone goes near the carrier, he runs out.

Last edited:
I know you gave your cat fluids and he did well on them. I feel terrible saying I wouldn't gave that to him if he needed it. He's just so fussy and can't stand being restrained in any way. He has never liked to be held or sit on a lap, doesn't like to go under the blankets with the other cats. Always hurts himself in a carrier trying to get out, which is why I now use a mobile vet for him. I can only trim a few nails now before he gets upset and hides in the closet. I leave the door open so they can go in and out.

Luckily, he doesn't need that now; he's lost weight but he's not thin as far as I can tell. He has a lot of hair so it's hard to tell. And I know things are different when you're actually faced with the choice, so who knows.

I have two of them sitting open in the room because the other cats like sleeping in them occasionally. Gizmo will every so often lay down in one for a few minutes, but at the slightest sound or if anyone goes near the carrier, he runs out.
It's ok...it was Cybil and she responded well to the treatment. It did extend her life but she was not to the point where she was suffering. She was 19 years old and very thin, but she remained active, enjoyed eating and used the litter box up until that last month. And a big part of the success was how cooperative she was. I could do it by myself without help from the hubby or son. That was huge. As soon as I saw her quality of life deteriorate to the point where I didn't think she was happy anymore, I helped her cross over. I probably tend to euthanize sooner, rather than later...I'm not one of those people who can wait until the very end or let their pet die at home. :(

I do hope you can find out what is wrong with Gizmo and that there will be an easy enough treatment for him.

Wow, that is inexpensive! Lucky!! Weird how prices very so much region-to-region.

If Milo ever became diabetic I don't know what I would do. No one would come out the situation alive. He doesn't tolerate being handled very much and my parents aren't the best when it comes to medicating, etc. because I was always around to do it, but now I'm not. So I hope to god that my mother can cut back on the massive amount of treats she gives him. Otherwise, she's switched over their diet to a proscription local dry food and kept the amount of wet food the same. Between Milo and Jenny, they split a cup of dry food and 2 packets of wet a day--not that much. So all the 'extra' has to come from the treats and table food they feed him. :(

We have a local animal/pet charity in our town , it runs a couple of second hand stores and sells donated whatever . It helps out with pet bills , in some cases paying the full amount or subsidizing the bill .
Do you have anything in your area like that .

They came out and got the blood today. They tried twice but couldn't get any urine. They thought he looked good for his age and he wasn't too thin. I should have the results on Wednesday, and they said if anything is wrong, they probably caught it early. That's a relief. :)

It ended up costing $210, she had given me the wrong quote on the phone, so that was a nice surprise. That was for the visit and the blood panel drawn by a vet tech instead of a vet.

Anyway, Gizmo is hiding from me in the closet now. He did come out to get some baby food though, and then right back in the closet. :p

Poor Gizmo. Glad you were able to get it done. Fingers crossed it will be something easily treatable.