Should businesses stop selling pug-related merchandise?

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hello šŸ‘‹,
This is something that I sometimes get quite passionate and frustrated about. Pug merch is everywhere these days, from soft toys, clothing, cushions, stationery and other stuff. However, pugs are among the most unhealthy breeds out there, with their breathing problems, etc. People see and buy and share pug merchandise on social media, etc and become obsessed with them and then want to buy them, maybe sometimes on impulse, which may then lead to the dogs being dumped at shelters or even abandoned, and the pugs being bred more, contributing to their health problems and early deaths.
The only pug-related that is likely to be better is that which specifically promotes rescue, like having a slogan saying ā€œRescued Pugā€ or something...
Do you think businesses and shops that sell and produce pug-related merchandise are contributing to the problem?
I might set up a petition about this...
Thank you šŸ˜Š to the moon šŸŒ’ and back.
Best Wishes to all,
Rory.
Have the best day and night ever!

Reactions: Vegan Dogs
Full disclosure: My sister has a rescued pug/mix

I don't know why you are so concerned with Pugs. Granted pugs have some issues. (you should hear my sister's dog snore!)

But they are not drastically worse than some other dogs. In fact, according to this article, they don't even crack the top ten.

I realize you are very serious and I shouldn't make light of this. but i found this image a while back and it is still one of my favorites. And although it is humourous it does illustrate your concerns.

Honestly, I get the feeling. While other dogs do have health problems, and breeding animals for profit should end, for many reasons, I can see how pugs somehow end up being the "poster puppies" of this ridiculousness - especially when they're dressed up with ridiculous crocheted cake hats. Something about their size and appearance makes them particularly vulnerable for this stuff. I really never thought about it before, but I can kind of see it now. To be honest, I am not really a fan of dressing up animals in ridiculous costumes anyway - never have been, even before I was vegan. It seems so humiliating. If you can somehow tie this together with the overall fight against pet breeding and the concept of using all animals for human entertainment, than yes. A pug's face is cute, but it also causes them severe breathing problems, but it is a symptom of a bigger problem - the animal breeding for profit industry in general. If you're going to be an activist for pugs, you've got to make the connection with the bigger picture, IMO.

Rescue pugs on the beach! Welcome to Pugs SOS (Pug Rescue Australia) We were thrilled when Tommy Franklin aka 'Salty Rain' accepted our invitation to dance on the beach with some of our rescues. His aim to change the world "one smile at a time" goes hand in hand with the way pugs live their lives -- enthusiastic and intelligent dogs whose role in life is to love their family and make everyone around them smile. Contrary to information found on many websites, pugs are highly active dogs, who require lots of exercise, access to air-conditioning during hot spells, daily grooming (they moult 24 hours a day 365 days a year!) and most importantly -- constant company. They adore the beach, water and swimming J Pugs SOS is a rescue organisation that keeps pugs out of puppy farms, where they risk spending the rest of their 'profitable' lives breeding litter after litter in appalling conditions. We cannot do this on our own. We need your help to stop this cruel industry which is similar to conditions in a battery farm for hens. Do not buy from an online site, or a pet shop. These puppies are from backyard breeding operations or larger scale puppy farms, who can have as many as 100 to 200 adult dogs locked in cages and sheds deep in the country. If you really love pugs, and would like to see an end to puppy farming, contact a Breed Club near you for names of registered breeders, or ADOPT a rescue. For further information -- please visit our website : pugs-sos.com/ or visit us on Facebook : Pugs SOS Also a BIG thank you to the Bag Raiders for allowing us to use the pugs favourite song : shooting stars.

1. Airlines ban them as prone to high risk death in planes due to breathing difficulties.

2. Don't buy 'flat-faced' dogs, vets urge

Vets warn people against buying 'flat-faced' dogs

Vets are warning would-be dog owners to think twice before buying breeds with fashionably "flat-faced" features because of concerns over their welfare.

Pugs, bulldogs, French bulldogs and shih-tzus have become sought-after in the UK, despite wide-ranging health problems.

Their appeal is attributed to having "squashed" faces and wrinkled noses.

The British Veterinary Association said the surge in popularity of these dogs had "increased animal suffering".

3. Vets Issue Stark Warning About Certain Breeds Of Dogs

4. 'Brachycephalic' Dog Breeds | Warning For Short Muzzled Dog Owners

5. Pugs and bulldogs 'living miserable lives because of reckless breeding'

6. Popularity of pugs and bulldogs in advertising causing 'animal welfare crisis', dog charities warn

I personally agree...that they are one of the most "unnatural" dogs humans have designed like frankenstein animals humans like to design rather than let animals be "natural"

There is no wild dog in nature with a form of face like this breed of dog. fact. They were bred to this extreme by humans for liking the funny face look

just as dashund dogs were bred with unnatural very very short legs and long backs ... for the purpose of going down holes in the ground to catch rats...but the shape became amusingly called the "sausage dog" and they due to their unnatural long backs suffer greatly spine and back health problems. suffering.

All vets earn big time from the health problems of pugs. facts. in my road alone...there have in a 13 houses road been 5 pugs. all of them...had vet expensive treatements...mostly for eyes aactually as squashed up.

Advertising often uses this breed of dogs simply because they are ridiculous looking and amusing clown faces...it is not nice for the dogs to be like that.

Pug Breed Information. Pugs are a severely brachycephalic (flat-faced) breed. Pugs are very likely to suffer from serious health and welfare issues due to their physical conformation, including severe breathing difficulties, eye problems and skin problems.

What percentage of pugs have health problems?
The Kennel Club's own research shows that 50 per cent of Pugs, Bulldogs and French Bulldogs have significant breathing problems, and that only 7-15 per cent of them breathe like a normal, non-brachycephalic dog.

Whether people think this all matters or not...if pet dogs are to be encouraged to not be bred and sold...anything that uses pet dogs in adverts is a negative and people should wish to see stopped.

Last edited: