Shirts - to tuck or not to tuck?

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Is there a rule about what kind of shirts that can be left untucked?

I would prefer not to tuck it, as I think that works better with the rest of my attire (jeans and fake leather tennis shoes a.k.a. sneakers), but not sure if that works with this particular shirt.

Right off the bat, I'm thinking if the shirt is a pullover it doesn't need tucking.

A man's button down dress shirt is probably best tucked in.

But I'm coming up with so many exceptions that I'm not sure it matters...I guess it depends on the look you're going for.

A flannel button down shirt would not be tucked in, IMO.

A quick search provided some info...it depends on the pants. Apparently, dress pants warrant always tucking in. Jeans and tennis shoes are casual so you don't need to tuck in your shirt.

What type of shirt are you referring to?

ETA: I should mention that I am, in no way, an expert on fashion. I do believe people should create their own style but it's also nice to have some basic guidelines. :)

What type of shirt are you referring to?
This is a man's button down long-sleeved dress shirt. I'm half-way positive that it kinda works untucked, but I guess what I'm unsure about is whether there is something special about the design of certain such shirts that can make them tuck-in-only.

In any formal or business setting, you should always tuck in your shirt.

Otherwise, it is completely up to you.
Well, the dress culture in my office building is fairly casual and varied. Some people wear t-shirts, tucked and untucked dress shirts, jumpers, hoodies, sandals, shorts etc.

This is a man's button down long-sleeved dress shirt. I'm half-way positive that it kinda works untucked, but I guess what I'm unsure about is whether there is something special about the design of certain such shirts that can make them tuck-in-only.

Well, the dress culture in my office building is fairly casual and varied. Some people wear t-shirts, tucked and untucked dress shirts, jumpers, hoodies, sandals, shorts etc.

Button down dress shirt are designed to be tucked in. - A least here in the US of A...

Yes, IT companies are... different. Are you sure the dress code doesn't require you to wear a hoodie?:p

Great article. [emoji1]

As a Floridian, I would like to stress this part to tourists:
" Hawaiian shirts — These and any other loud-print shirts don’t get tucked no matter what their hem looks like. Seriously, just don’t. Nothing looks dorkier than a tucked-in vacation shirt. This goes for Guayaberas as well."
[emoji1]

I think we need to know what kind of shirt, what kind of jeans, what kind of athletic shoes, and your general style esthetic to accurately advise.

I wear tops without tucking them in now, if my hubbie wore shirts tucked in I would fear that he would look like Urkel or Simon Cowell.:D

When I was required to wear a business suit for work I would sometimes tuck a camisole or shirt into my skirt and button my jacket over that.

From BC's article:
Shirts that are made with a flat bottom hem are meant to be worn untucked. But if the shirt has visible “tails” — that is to say, the hem varies in length, rather than being even all the way around — it should always be tucked in.
This was exactly what I was looking for! Lots of other useful info there too.

Good article. I especially like the "Vintage Mom hack" of sewing lace to the underside of the shirt tucks to ensure your son will always keep them tucked in. :D

In my opinion, whether a shirt looks good tucked in also depends a bit on your physique - if you do have a little belly, it can be more pronounced by a tucked in shirt, especially if the belt is tight.

That might be a reason for some to wear untucked polo shirts to office if casual attire is accepted instead of tucked in dress shirts (also saves on your ironing time or cost for outsourcing this activity)

Best regards,
Andy

When I was a kid they used to say that only Russians wore their shirt untucked - but then again they used to say lots of dumb things.

With dress clothes I'm almost always tucked in. Though I often wear a sweater over top of the shirt in place of a suit coat, so no one other than myself could tell.

My personal rule (outside of dress clothes) is: pull over = untucked, button up = tucked - unless I feel differently at the time (so I guess it's not actually much of a rule). I think the current feeling is personal choice, instead of following a rule of etiquette.

As I don't dress to impress anyone other than myself, and I no longer wear any type of uniform or follow any dress code, I get to wear what I like. So I wear overalls almost every day (I like the pockets, comfort, and ease of use). So tuck, untuck aren't really a concern for me. (My Dad still feels they aren't really a respectable form of dress - but he used to say the Russian quote, so I don't worry too much about that.)