Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Cosmos Will Get a Sequel Hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Neil deGrasse Tyson

More than three decades after it aired, Carl Sagan’s groundbreaking, brilliant 13-part TV series Cosmos:A Personal Voyage will finally get a sequel.

Cosmos, which originally ran in 1980 and was rerun many times over the following decade, is widely regarded as one of the first, and best, TV shows to make science accessible to everyone. You can watch the show now on Hulu, but despite its brilliance it is still a show from more than 30 years ago, and you can tell — the special effects are primitive by today’s standards, but more importantly some of the content has been superseded by discoveries in the intervening years.

So, it’s high time someone made a sequel to it, and now someone is! In partnership with Sagan’s colleagues Ann Druyan (who is also his widow) and Steven Soter, Seth MacFarlane — yes, that Seth MacFarlane — is going to produce a new 13-part series to serve as a sequel and modern update to Sagan’s masterpiece.

Taking over the hosting duties will be none other than well-known astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, who has served as host of NOVA ScienceNOW on PBS for the past five years, so he has plenty of experience making science accessible to the general public. It would be difficult to think of anyone who would be better able to succeed the late, great Carl Sagan.

The folks working on it will take their time and do it right — it’s not scheduled to air until sometime in 2013.

I know this is article is a year old, but I only just found out about the sequel a few days ago. I'm pretty excited about it. I watched the entire original series when it aired on PBS and loved it. I also know that 32 years is an eternity when it comes to scientific research and discovery, so an update was badly needed. I don't know how it will turn out when it airs on Fox and involves Seth McFarlane, but I'm anxious to find out.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/08/cosmos-to-get-a-sequel-hosted-by-neil-degrasse-tyson/

Reactions: GingerFoxx
I know this is article is a year old, but I only just found out about the sequel a few days ago. I'm pretty excited about it. I watched the entire original series when it aired on PBS and loved it. I also know that 32 years is an eternity when it comes to scientific research and discovery, so an update was badly needed. I don't know how it will turn out when it airs on Fox and involves Seth McFarlane, but I'm anxious to find out.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/08/cosmos-to-get-a-sequel-hosted-by-neil-degrasse-tyson/

I was worried when I saw the thread titel, I thought nobody couls replace Carl Sagan. For all the man and I had disagreements, he was a visionary, but deGrasse Tyson is a fitting person for it. If only Feynman were still alive.

When I first saw Sagan, I immediately began to think, "this is ridiculously oversimplified!" But as I continued to watch, I started to realize that's the magic of it. He manages to break through to all sorts of audiences, and that is a good thing.

I loved Cosmos so much. I love Carl Sagan and his goofy voice. I can't wait for this new show. :D

Did you guys see the Mars landing just now? Those NASA guys were whooping it up! :D

Reactions: Amy SF
I loved Cosmos so much. I love Carl Sagan and his goofy voice. I can't wait for this new show. :D

Did you guys see the Mars landing just now? Those NASA guys were whooping it up! :D

Bah. Now if they manage to land something on Venus, that would be noteworthy. We have had plenty of Mars rovers and so far we've discovered that it's a barren red rock that occasionally snows and has ice in its north pole, and maybe had life at some point on a microscopic level.

I'm being a bit sarcastic, though. It is pretty neat.

Bah. Now if they manage to land something on Venus, that would be noteworthy. We have had plenty of Mars rovers and so far we've discovered that it's a barren red rock that occasionally snows and has ice in its north pole, and maybe had life at some point on a microscopic level.

I'm being a bit sarcastic, though. It is pretty neat.
I've followed space exploration since I was a kid. I'm old enough to remember watching the first moon landing, and my uncle was an aeronautics engineer at NASA during the mercury program. Uncle Tom was cool, but he never had great hair like today's NASA geeks! :D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1344395606691.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1344395606691.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 415
I've followed space exploration since I was a kid. I'm old enough to remember watching the first moon landing, and my uncle was an aeronautics engineer at NASA during the mercury program. Uncle Tom was cool, but he never had great hair like today's NASA geeks! :D

When I get a time machine, that's one of the first things I'm doing. I have to go back and witness this stuff.

Also have a party with Tesla, Tolkien, and Lovecraft. But that's not the point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Space-Time_Odyssey

Here's the latest on this puppy. It looks like it's now scheduled for Spring 2014. Perhaps all the CGI they're invariably employing is delaying completion of the program. I hope it's worth the wait.

I really, really love CGI space sequences for some reason. Even if they usually have sound in space and abnormally large speeds and light in places where there should not be light.

I emailed the video to my brother. I don't know if he knows about this sequel coming, but I remember how enthusiastic he was when the original aired. In fact, he recorded the entire series on our family's rather primitive VCR, which had a remote control connected to the VCR with a WIRE. No infrared at that time.

Reactions: FortyTwo
tumblr_mq7u3uUX8I1s8t3eao2_250.gif
tumblr_mq7u3uUX8I1s8t3eao1_250.gif

tumblr_mq7u3uUX8I1s8t3eao3_250.gif
tumblr_mq7u3uUX8I1s8t3eao4_250.gif

ETA: The entire thing is HERE on YouTube, if anyone's interested.

Reactions: ledboots

(WARNING: There's a tiny bit of nudity in the video, just some actor depicting a hunter-gatherer guy. It's not sexual or anything, and is incredibly brief, but still figured I'd give the NSFW warning.)

The latest about the new series:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...cosmos-20140105,0,7346617.story#axzz2pXtD9RWS

13 parts, all co-written by Sagan's widow Ann Druyan, will be airing on both Fox and the National Geographic channel beginning in March 2014.

Didn't know this, glad to hear it. Ann and Carl were so close, it breaks my heart to read about them... they were very much alike.

In terms of the project itself, I'm glad because it adds more guidance than just Seth Macfarlane, who I'm a bit iffy on. At least he's prominent in the fight for science education, even if he is kind-of a dick. Ann being on board with it, along with Neil of course, makes me happy.