Space Sciences Sequel to "Cosmos" coming in 2014

What I would like to ask scientists:

1. Before the Big Bang occurred which created the universe, what was there? Okay, nothing. But how is that possible? Was there just an empty space? Was there an empty space next to other universes that got filled up with our universe? :???: :iiam:

2. Why is there always an automatic assumption that any "life" on other planets, in other galaxies, is more advanced than we are? Isn't it possible that we humans are the most advanced people (for lack of a better word) in existence? Isn't it possible that the reason why we haven't had any response to any of the signals we send out into space is because any life out there either doesn't recognize the signals for what they are, or they do and don't know how to respond? (Of course there's always the possibility that there has been a response, but from so far out into the universe that it will take millions of years to reach the earth.)

These are genuine questions I'd like answered, but I'd rather have reputable scientists such as Neil deGrasse Tyson answering them, rather than some bible-thumper who would tell me that God is responsible for everything. That's the kind of answer that wouldn't satisfy my curiosity.

Yea those are good questions.

I once heard a scientist (on Nova) say that there is a theory being bounced around that the universe came from nothing. Which is weird because I thought spontaneous generation was disproven a long time ago. And as it stands rigt now, the unuverse is mostly nothing anyway (lots of empty space with an occasional rock or star).

About life on other planets. Another theory I've heard about why we haven't come across aliens is perhaps because aliens did exist, but they died out before we came along. Or perhaps they have yet to come. Just a case of bad timing. Like missing someone at the station beause the bus left before you arrived.

no one knows what was before the big bang. Personally I like the idea of a cyclic universe proposed by Roger Penrose , so there would have been another universe before the BB.

Synopsis
Penrose examines implications of the Second Law of Thermodynamics and its inevitable march toward a maximum entropy state of the universe. Illustrating entropy in terms of information state phase space (with 1 dimension for every degree of freedom) where particles end up moving through ever larger grains of this phase space from smaller grains over time due to random motion. He disagrees with Stephen Hawking's back-track[1] over whether information is destroyed when matter enters black holes. Such information loss would non-trivially lower total entropy in the universe as the black holes wither away due to Hawking radiation, resulting in a loss in phase space degrees of freedom.

Penrose goes on further to state that over enormous scales of time (beyond 10^100 years), distance ceases to be meaningful as all mass breaks down into extremely red-shifted photon energy, whereupon time has no influence, and the universe continues to expand without event
e8d594996af8152f709ecef3afa2e34e.png
. This period from Big Bang to infinite expansion Penrose defines as an aeon. The smooth “hairless” infinite oblivion of the previous aeon becomes the low-entropy Big Bang state of the next aeon cycle. Conformal geometry preserves the angles but not the distances of the previous aeon, allowing the new aeon universe to appear quite small at its inception as its phase space starts anew.

Penrose cites concentric rings found in the WMAP cosmic microwave background survey as preliminary evidence for his model, as he predicted black hole collisions from the previous aeon would leave such structures due to ripples of gravitational waves.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycles_of_Time

I think Neil deGrasse Tyson is a bit insecure about his position as host.

In the first episode, he mentioned his connection to Carl Sagan which was really neat.

But he did it again in the third or fouth episode. I wonder how many more times he'll say it.

I think Neil deGrasse Tyson is a bit insecure about his position as host.

In the first episode, he mentioned his connection to Carl Sagan which was really neat.

But he did it again in the third or fouth episode. I wonder how many more times he'll say it.

Nah, he just was very close to Carl Sagan, and knows that his mentor has a massive reputation and is universally loved. Hell, if I had the opportunity to be close to Carl Sagan, I'd bring it up all the time too. :p Which brings up another purpose of this Cosmos - to honor the legacy of the first one.

Reactions: Amy SF

1. Before the Big Bang occurred which created the universe, what was there? Okay, nothing. But how is that possible? Was there just an empty space? Was there an empty space next to other universes that got filled up with our universe? :???: :iiam:

2. Why is there always an automatic assumption that any "life" on other planets, in other galaxies, is more advanced than we are? Isn't it possible that we humans are the most advanced people (for lack of a better word) in existence? Isn't it possible that the reason why we haven't had any response to any of the signals we send out into space is because any life out there either doesn't recognize the signals for what they are, or they do and don't know how to respond? (Of course there's always the possibility that there has been a response, but from so far out into the universe that it will take millions of years to reach the earth.)

These are genuine questions I'd like answered, but I'd rather have reputable scientists such as Neil deGrasse Tyson answering them, rather than some bible-thumper who would tell me that God is responsible for everything. That's the kind of answer that wouldn't satisfy my curiosity.

I'm not a scientist, and I'm certainly not reputable, but I love discussing these things, so here goes:
  1. Yeah, nobody knows this. Weird, right? That's one of the most important things about science, though: being comfortable with admitting you don't know something. That's what gives you the drive to learn more. Someday we might know. We might never know.
  2. This is also weird. There are so many probabilistic elements to balance, and so many unknown factors, that we could be the first civilized planet ever, or just the latest one to make tiny baby steps into the Universe. What's most likely is that there are a bunch of them with varying degrees of civilization.
I guarantee you've seen this already, but whatever, I like embedding Carl Sagan in posts, so here's him explaining it way better than I can.

Reactions: Dedalus and Amy SF
Astronomy is very interesting indeed, and it's one of those things that can make you shudder, not because of what you can imagine, but because you know that the enormity, the vastness of space is something that is far out of our imagination or perhaps even our understanding. Stars that makes our sun seem like dust, galactic objects that span across major parts of the observable universe, black holes which even light cannot escape from, nebulae, gamma ray bursts which are comparable to entire galaxies in energy and brightness. It's scary, yes; but it's also terribly, terribly fascinating.

I always think about this and it makes my head hurt trying to imagine how there could be nothing. :p

I always think about this and it makes my head hurt trying to imagine how there could be nothing. :p

Even worse is thinking about how the Big Bang didn't happen anywhere in particular, and so you can't trace it back to a certain point. Basically, there is no center to the Universe, and we don't know how far it goes. We can only see about 93 billion light-years of it, because no other light has had time to get to us.

Astronomy is very interesting indeed, and it's one of those things that can make you shudder, not because of what you can imagine, but because you know that the enormity, the vastness of space is something that is far out of our imagination or perhaps even our understanding. Stars that makes our sun seem like dust, galactic objects that span across major parts of the observable universe, black holes which even light cannot escape from, nebulae, gamma ray bursts which are comparable to entire galaxies in energy and brightness. It's scary, yes; but it's also terribly, terribly fascinating.

That's actually very poetic, the way you put it. :)

I'm advocating that Cosmos should reach for higher standards, and I'm getting pushback that Cosmos is good enough.
That's what I mean by putting something on a pedestal.

Ironically, the people that you claim Cosmos is trying to reach/connect with, are the type of people who are unlikely to turn the show on in the first place...

So, I say, screw 'em and reach for the stars.

yes I sort of agree with reaching for the sky, but you still have to set a level, or else it would just be a maths heavy lecture that no lay person would understand.

I'm advocating that Cosmos should reach for higher standards, and I'm getting pushback that Cosmos is good enough.
That's what I mean by putting something on a pedestal.

What higher standards? I think Cosmos reaches pretty damn high. If we're putting it on a pedestal, then it's a 100% deserved pedestal.

Ironically, the people that you claim Cosmos is trying to reach/connect with, are the type of people who are unlikely to turn the show on in the first place...

This isn't necessarily true. Sure, fundamentalists and Creationists in particular aren't likely to tune in, and their minds probably wouldn't be changed anyways. But there are tons of people who weren't really swayed either way who are no doubt turning this on every week and thinking it is the coolest ****.

That's what I've been trying to say - it's less of a direct attack on Creationism and more of an enjoyable way to educate the masses that might not be educated.

Not to mention... regardless of what your own standards of science education might be, this show is incredibly entertaining even for people who might already know the basics. Oh, and this week's episode went into a few AP Bio topics, I don't think the 100% basic science thing applies anymore (if it did in the first place).

Possibly NSFW....he uses a cuss word at the beginning. I haven't watched all of it yet, so I don't if there are more.

Lawrence Krauss: A Universe From Nothing

My new roommate, who is a Jehovahs Witness, recently realized I'm an Atheist. She asked if I believed in all that evolution junk. I said yes, of course I do. She got this weird, freaked out look on her face and walked out of the room.
I think if I turned Cosmos on, on the living room TV, she would probably throw something at the screen and break it. :p

Last edited:
Possibly NSFW....he uses a cuss word at the beginning. I haven't watched all of it yet, so I don't if there are more.

Lawrence Krauss: A Universe From Nothing

My new roommate, who is a Jehovahs Witness, recently realized I'm an Atheist. She asked if I believed in all that evolution junk. I said yes, of course I do. She got this weird, freaked out look on her face and walked out of the room.
I think if I turned Cosmos on, on the living room TV, she would probably throw something at the screen and break it. :p

I once knew some JW's at work. They're very nice people, even when it came to discussing religion, but you do not want to get into a discussion of religion (or politics) with them because the logic wheels in their heads do not turn at the same rate as yours. :p

What higher standards? I think Cosmos reaches pretty damn high. If we're putting it on a pedestal, then it's a 100% deserved pedestal.

This isn't necessarily true. Sure, fundamentalists and Creationists in particular aren't likely to tune in, and their minds probably wouldn't be changed anyways. But there are tons of people who weren't really swayed either way who are no doubt turning this on every week and thinking it is the coolest ****.

That's what I've been trying to say - it's less of a direct attack on Creationism and more of an enjoyable way to educate the masses that might not be educated.

Not to mention... regardless of what your own standards of science education might be, this show is incredibly entertaining even for people who might already know the basics. Oh, and this week's episode went into a few AP Bio topics, I don't think the 100% basic science thing applies anymore (if it did in the first place).

I have only seen a few episodes - I've been recording the series though, and so far I love it. This is a perfect 'level' for me - one who is by no means as deeply embedded in science as you cats - but one who is curious by nature about all of this fascinating stuff. I like having complicated things explained to me with at least a fair regard to the fact that I may easily get to the point where I can't wrap my head around it. What I really enjoy are all of the cool little facts they put forth. Like that the sunrise is actually a mirage because of the way light bends...etc. I eat that stuff up. Yesterday I spent hours watching old Carl Sagan vids on youtube; I find I'm rediscovering him after oh...30 some years. (So thanks for the posts with links FourtyTwo. You inspired that.)

I have only seen a few episodes - I've been recording the series though, and so far I love it. This is a perfect 'level' for me - one who is by no means as deeply embedded in science as you cats - but one who is curious by nature about all of this fascinating stuff. I like having complicated things explained to me with at least a fair regard to the fact that I may easily get to the point where I can't wrap my head around it. What I really enjoy are all of the cool little facts they put forth. Like that the sunrise is actually a mirage because of the way light bends...etc. I eat that stuff up. Yesterday I spent hours watching old Carl Sagan vids on youtube; I find I'm rediscovering him after oh...30 some years. (So thanks for the posts with links FourtyTwo. You inspired that.)

That's exactly where I am with this. :yes:

Always happy to help!

Oh, and if you're feeling it: here's a playlist of the whole series, in case you didn't stumble across it.

(The first 10 minutes of Blues for a Red Planet contains a better adaptation of War of the Worlds than literally any movie version)

Always happy to help!

Oh, and if you're feeling it: here's a playlist of the whole series, in case you didn't stumble across it.

(The first 10 minutes of Blues for a Red Planet contains a better adaptation of War of the Worlds than literally any movie version)

Ooooooooh that's a great link. I was getting bits and pieces before - that will be a big help. You da man.

I have a 1st edition of the book - my Mother was quite enamored with Carl from way back so she made certain I had a copy. I think she bought one for all my sisters too.

cosmos cover.png

Ooooooooh that's a great link. I was getting bits and pieces before - that will be a big help. You da man.

I have a 1st edition of the book - my Mother was quite enamored with Carl from way back so she made certain I had a copy. I think she bought one for all my sisters too.

View attachment 4269

...wait, that's what a first edition looks like?

...I may have just bought one of those at the thrift store.

Reactions: Dedalus