Seasoning cast-iron pots...

Spray can oils have additives. This is one of the reasons I use olive oil in a spray bottle (plus it's cheaper).

spraybottle.jpg
I have one of these ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004SPZV/ref=redir_mdp_mobile (similar product, different company) that my mom gave me. I keep olive oil in it and spray it with abandon. ;)

Does it mist well and not clog up?
It sprays well and I've never had the one I'm using now clog in the five or so years I've been using it, though sometimes the spray isn't very even. However I normally can solve this by re-adjusting the nozzle, and even if it is uneven it's a fairly small amount of oil, so I just spray some more on.

I bought my sprayer at a Super One grocery store.

Here's something that weirds me out: preseasoned cast iron. Everyone but the manufacturers recommend the preseasoned items be seasoned before the first use.

So ... the point of buying preseasoned stuff would be ... what, I wonder.

In the end, regardless of the type of oil used, my grandma taught me that to properly season a cast-iron pan you cannot do it without some smoke. It makes sense to me as you actually want to burn the finish onto the iron. But we all differ in our method of doing that. :p

Here in this thread. I never would have thought to buy a spray bottle for oil... I've been buying the stuff in the aerosol cans.

Also check out the Misto. It works like a spray can, giving a finer mist than a bottle does.
Please tell me how you keep yours spraying!
My first Misto lasted maybe 6 months before it quit pressurizing. I bought another because I liked it so much when it worked.
I made sure I ALWAYS depressurized after use, ran nozzle under hot water now and then. Again I got about 6 months. First they begin to dribble, then stop pressurizing.

I'm about to start using a brush.

Please tell me how you keep yours spraying!
My first Misto lasted maybe 6 months before it quit pressurizing. I bought another because I liked it so much when it worked.
I made sure I ALWAYS depressurized after use, ran nozzle under hot water now and then. Again I got about 6 months. First they begin to dribble, then stop pressurizing.

I'm about to start using a brush.
I fill my misto less than halfway, and only refill when it is completely empty. I also add a few drops of vodka to the oil to stop it from gunking up (my sister told me this.) I live in a warm area; I think these things work better when the room temperature oil is warmer, thus thinner.