Santiago pilgrimage started my journey to becoming vegan...

David@1

Reaction score
Cardigan / Aberteifi. Wales, United Kingdom
Lifestyle
Vegan
So last December I started my pilgrimage from Saint David's in Wales to Santiago de Compostella, Spain, a walk of 2000km/1200miles, over 5 1/2 months. Being a vegetarian was incredibly difficult on the road, so I quickly fell into carnivorous ways :worried:.
When I finally got home to Wales, I got straight back onto a vegetarian diet, purely for my health, but after a bit of research discovered the shocking benefits of a vegan diet, and from there to a wholefood plant based diet.
But watching "Land of Hope and Glory?" on YouTube absolutely clinched it for me.
I've been plant based for five months now, one of the best decisions I've made in my life. I feel fantastic. Food is so much more interesting! Made myself vegan cheese, tofu, and banana bacon...and there's even a bakery in the small market town that I live in that sells vegan cookies and brownies when I fancy a treat! :heart_eyes:
My only regret is that I didn't do this years ago...
So, greetings from Wales fellow vegans...what's not to like? :)

Sax

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Sounds like a great trip, minus the meat. I went vegan after moving to a new region...I think it's easier to make a big change like veganism if you've already disrupted your life's status quo a little. Welcome!

• 👍
Reactions: Emma JC

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Land of hope and Glory

Missed that one. I'm putting it on my list.

• 👍
Reactions: Emma JC and David@1

Mischief

Reaction score
Welcome David!

I've never met anyone who's gone on a "real" pilgrimage, i.e., on foot. It sounds fascinating. I bet you had lots of life altering experiences.

• 👍

David@1

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Yup! Being moved to tears was a weekly event!
But the next time I go I'm going to have to do some serious planning to maintain a plant based diet. All the "Pilgrim's Menus" available generally consisted of chicken and fries or omelette and fries, hence my health plan on my return....

• 👍

PTree15

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
So last December I started my pilgrimage from Saint David's in Wales to Santiago de Compostella, Spain, a walk of 2000km/1200miles, over 5 1/2 months. Being a vegetarian was incredibly difficult on the road, so I quickly fell into carnivorous ways :worried:.
When I finally got home to Wales, I got straight back onto a vegetarian diet, purely for my health, but after a bit of research discovered the shocking benefits of a vegan diet, and from there to a wholefood plant based diet.
But watching "Land of Hope and Glory?" on YouTube absolutely clinched it for me.
I've been plant based for five months now, one of the best decisions I've made in my life. I feel fantastic. Food is so much more interesting! Made myself vegan cheese, tofu, and banana bacon...and there's even a bakery in the small market town that I live in that sells vegan cookies and brownies when I fancy a treat! :heart_eyes:
My only regret is that I didn't do this years ago...
So, greetings from Wales fellow vegans...what's not to like? :)
Welcome, David. That walk is on my wish list. My aunt and uncle did a very small section of it while they were on vacation, and they just loved it.

• 👍

David@1

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Welcome, David. That walk is on my wish list. My aunt and uncle did a very small section of it while they were on vacation, and they just loved it.
I'd honestly recommend it to everyone. It sorted out so many things in my head and spirit, and many of them I never even realized I needed to think about...

• 👍
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15

TofuRobot

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Welcome! My hat is off to you for accomplishing that walk - and for your conversion to a WFPB diet. I wonder, now that you have changed everything, if you were to do the walk again (not that you would), do you think you could do it as a vegan? ...

I have heard of the movie, but have not seen it. I think watching Earthlings, and later What The Health - and in between all the video footage I've seen on YouTube and around the internet, I'm not sure I could watch another film about such realities. But I'll add it to my IMDB watch list anyway, cuz you never know.

Nice to have you here - you stick around!

• 👍

David@1

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
On the contrary, I fully intend to walk the pilgrimage once again, although maybe not from my front door ;) And yes, maintaining a WFPB diet, which would just take a lot more planning both on the route, and before setting off. (I heard someone say recently that "if God wanted us to kill animals, what does the devil want?")
I know what you mean about watching slaughterhouse footage, I don't think I could watch anymore, and it wouldn't achieve anything for me anyway; once you've seen it you cannot un-see it...

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
Welcome and well done. 👍

I have a friend who did part of that pilgrimage with her sports club. They walked for over a week in the centre of France and it rained nearly every single day. I think that they have plans to continue the walk at some point next year. :sun: