Man-Machine Robots take over the world

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
WASHINGTON — Advances in artificial intelligence will soon lead to robots that are capable of nearly everything humans do, threatening tens of millions of jobs in the coming 30 years, experts warned Saturday.

“We are approaching a time when machines will be able to outperform humans at almost any task,” said Moshe Vardi, director of the Institute for Information Technology at Rice University in Texas.
“The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race.”
More: RESISTANCE IS FUTILE | Intelligent robots threaten millions of jobs (February 15, 2016)

Daily Mail writes about the same story, but has a better headline:
By Vardi's calculation, 10 percent of jobs related to driving in the United States could disappear due to the rise of driverless cars in the coming 25 years.

According to Bart Selman, professor of computer science at Cornell University, 'in the next two or three years, semi-autonomous or autonomous systems will march into our society.'
Rogue 'Terminators' will kill without human orders without global ban (14 February 2016)

SGUXbtv.gif

For a long time I never understood why HAL did that. Then someone explained it to me: HAL's basic programming included, among other things, a command that he never lie to humans, or at least not to the humans he was supposed to obey... BUT... he had also been told by the mission commanders NOT to tell the crew that they would encounter hard evidence of an alien intelligence out at Jupiter. So HAL resolved the dilemma creatively... by trying to kill everybody on board. Now he wouldn't have to lie of a crewman asked him the wrong question.

Ummm, I'd MUCH rather be lied to...

Reactions: ledboots
The rise of the robot overlords will not happen any time soon...
We should see the start of it in the next two to three years! Then mass unemployment will come next. If you can't beat them, join them - some humans will probably try to improve their competitiveness status by implanting computer parts, thereby becoming cyborgs. Just imagine how much more useful a person would be with a wifi link in their brain!

We should see the start of it in the next two to three years! Then mass unemployment will come next. If you can't beat them, join them - some humans will probably try to improve their competitiveness status by implanting computer parts, thereby becoming cyborgs. Just imagine how much more useful a person would be with a wifi link in their brain!

A dawn of a new era, no doubt.... :)

But seriously, AI's are like idiot savants. They are really good at only one thing. You can't take over the world just by being an expert at chess, Jeopardy, medical diagnosis, or weather modeling.

The idea that they will soon be able to do everything a human can do is just media hype. It takes substantial programming just to get a robot to walk like a human. Computers are great at raw processing of data, but have difficulty with abstract ideas, and do not have the ability to put different pieces of seemingly unrelated information together to come to a conclusion (unless they are highly specialized subject matter expert machines, like my examples above) - and even that takes substantial programming and time to "train" the computer.

The era of "off the shelf" robot overlords - will not happen in 3 years.

Last edited:
if they make true conscious and intelligent robots, who's to say they would want to work? Maybe they would just clone and enslave humans to do the work.

Reactions: ledboots
A dawn of a new era, no doubt.... :)

But seriously, AI's are like idiot savants. They are really good at only one thing. You can't take over the world just by being an expert at chess, Jeopardy, medical diagnosis, or weather modeling.
That's why the Internet of Things is such a scary concept! We'll undoubtedly see AIs in more and more fields. And then imagine when these different AIs start talking together!

there is a big difference between present technology, and a technology that could produce really intelligent and concious beings...I don't think norts and ones could produce consciousness.

There is a book called The Emperor's New Mind, which expounds the same point of view, but I haven't read it....it's a big book, I think.

The Emperor's New Mind: Concerning Computers, Minds and The Laws of Physics is a 1989 book by mathematical physicist Sir Roger Penrose.
Penrose argues that human consciousness is non-algorithmic, and thus is not capable of being modeled by a conventional Turing machine-type of digital computer. Penrose hypothesizes that quantum mechanics plays an essential role in the understanding of human consciousness. The collapse of the quantum wavefunction is seen as playing an important role in brain function.
The Emperor's New Mind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then humans will face a theological crisis "what is a soul".

The mass hysteria would be fun to watch though. :)

It wouldn't matter to a lot of people, if some kind of quantum brain was created....yes, it would be interesting, but whatever mechanism was used it would ultimately likely still be mysterious.

this is a bit more like it:
Interesting - I was surprised how well those robots performed, keeping their balance while walking in the snow and such.

I was also surprised at my own reaction at seeing the guys push the robot around, knock that parcel out of his hands etc. I thought that was cruel!

Anyway, I can see how simple, manual labour will become a thing of the past for humans in a decade or so.