Roasted garlic rice

majorbloodnok

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
Having read through the thread on what's for supper, I saw someone asking about roasted garlic rice, so I thought I'd post one possible option. Given my previous recipe post was attached to the "Easy Curry" thread, it seemed only appropriate.

First step is to cook the basmati rice. I won't try to force-feed you any particular method, but you'll want to have it cooked so that it's still just slightly grainy to the bite and certainly not mushy. If you start off with about 8oz dry rice, that should give you enough once cooked. Once cooked, drain and set aside.

• Now, in a nice big heavy bottomed saucepan, melt about a tablespoon or two of coconut oil. Don't skimp since this'll be the transport of the flavours into the rice.
  • Add a teaspoon of mustard seeds and fry until they just start sizzling. That'll start releasing the aromatics.
  • Now add one smallish sliced onion, a good pinch of salt and about a dozen largeish (or double that for smaller) peeled garlic cloves. Yes, I know that's quite a lot, but this ain't going to be a raw garlic hit, and you might want to consider bashing them a bit (put one on a chopping board, put the flat of a kitchen knife on top and then use the side of your fist to hit down on the other side of the knife blade; not so hard as to completely obliterate but enough to open it up a bit) to help the flavour come out during the cooking. Keep frying gently until the onion slices are starting to go brown and the garlic cloves are nicely coloured on the outside. If either onion or garlic burns you'll start to get a slightly bitter flavour so don't go that far, but up to that point the more you can get that golden colour the better since it'll enrich the flavour.
  • As the onion and garlic is getting closer to done you can, if you wish, add anywhere up to 3 chopped green chillis. If you prefer to omit altogether, fine.
  • Once the onion and garlic is cooked as you want, pop in a teaspoon of ground turmeric, quickly stir round to combine with the oil and then get the rice straight in and stir to combine well. Don't hang about or the onion and garlic will continue to cook at the bottom of the pan and probably burn, but if you stir and combine quickly all that flavour will get straight into the rice.
  • It's probably fine as is now, but you might want to consider stirring in a few chopped curry leaves and perhaps the juice of half a lemon.

Let me know what you think.