Roast potatoes aren't vegan? šŸ¤”

Jordthevegan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegan newbie
I've been vegan for more than a month now and recently had the craving for roast potatoes but all of the in store frozen ones aren't labelled vegan, is there a reason for this? I assume it's something in the ingredients I'm missing?

(Important to note I'm aware some brands contain dripping etc, but many don't and they still don't say vegan)

Last edited:
I've been vegan for more than a month now and recently had the craving for roast potatoes but all of the in store frozen ones aren't labelled vegan, is there a reason for this? I assume it's something in the ingredients I'm missing?

Some brands use animal fat, i.e. either goose fat, dripping or butter.

Reactions: Jordthevegan
I think many obviously vegan items are often not labelled as such because the stores don't bother. E.g. fruit and veg, including frozen.

That's true but in this particular case it's an exception as either goose fat or dripping and milk based flavourings are quite popular for roast potato recipes.

Am I right in thinking it could be down to the dextrose being from animals instead of corn, hence why the packaging doesn't say Vegan?

Dextrose is derived from corn. However, it may be due to the fact that it's made in a factory where milk products are used. As IS has stated, even thought many products are 100 % plant based, some brands prefer to say ''suitable for vegetarians'' to be on the safe side.

If you have an oven, you could try making your own roast potatoes. Easy peasy. :)

Yep. I don't think dextrose is animal-derived, since it's basically a type of sugar. Where I am, many foods have warnings about possible traces of nuts, for example- or about how a food was processed in a plant that also processes some other food. These warnings are to alert people with allergies, as well as if they have idealogical reasons for avoiding some foods.

Do you have an oven? All you have to do is boil some potatoes, put them on a tray, cover them in oil and roast them.

You might be craving for scabs like you get on meat. That's why you want roast potatoes, because its like eating scabs.

Thanks for everyone's help on this, I was far too overly cautious šŸ˜… I think I just read somewhere Dextrose was animal derived which was obviously wrong.

I've recently started focusing more on whole foods and cooking from scratch as it's better for me and the environment.

Thank you all again, take care.