Rice Milk

Sally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I really thought I had tried all the milks and none of them mixed well in tea and coffee, they either curdle or are a bit gloopy, then my friend gave me rice milk in my coffee and it mixes like ordinary milk. So I thought I'd share that.

I wish you could buy these milks in smaller cartons, as it's a lot to spend if you find you don't like something, I most likely hadn't tried rice milk because I'd been through so many, sometimes throwing some of it away, then couldn't remember if I'd had it or not.

I like oat milk on cereal though.

Reactions: Vegantimmy
I agree, rice milk started out being my favourite milk. Then I switched to oat milk - mostly because, if I make it at home, it has the fewest 'air miles' of all the milks for someone living in the UK.

But in terms of vegan milks actually tasting the closest to cow's milk, I recommend mixing a tiny bit of Good Hemp Milk into Koko Coconut Milk. This is the closest taste I have been able to achieve, after experimenting for two years. I have fooled omnivores with it.

There was also an exceptional almond milk I once tried but I cannot remember the name. Will post if it comes to me. :)

Some good tips here, thanks.
I'll try the oat milk in my cereals, I have been happy using almond milk, but not keen on soya milk.
Is rice milk good with cereals too? Does it have a flavour?
Blue x

Yes rice milk does have a flavour. Like Sally, I liked rice milk in all but with cereals.

The almond milk I mentioned. I think it's Blue Diamond's 'Almond Breeze'. It's still got a very slight almondy-taste, but only very slight, and it's not too sweet like lots of the almond milks out there.

Ah yes, I have made chocolate porridge with chocolate milk before! Very yummy. I used chocolate almond milk.

Reactions: Damo
Rice milk! I tried it once some time ago, your post gave me idea that since i have juicer i can make my own rice milk (i was making oat milk so far <3)

Some good stuff here, personally I find brown rice milk best for tea and coffee, made by (rude health) and its organic. Also for porridge coconut milk same brand. Somthing I never thought would go well but its amazing. I aslo add a few bananas too.

I have black tea and coffee luckily, so not a 'milk' problem there!
But I love my porridge, it's so handy at work. I will try the coconut milk- does it make the porridge very coconuty?
(is that a word!?)
Where do you buy your chocolate milk from winter frost?

Oatly offer chocolate oat milk, it's pretty tasty to drink alone and to add to cereal apparently... :no_mouth:
I've got the original OATLY drink here (blue carton)- my son brought it back from uni and it's still in the fridge. Luckily the best before date is October 2016. I'll try that tonight on my cereal.
It contains B12, D2, Riboflavin and calcium. Bonus!

Reactions: Damo
Thank you. I always scan each supermarket for different vegan milks. Occasionally they are kept separately in the 'free from' area. I'm going to try the OATLY chocolate drink next that Damo suggested.

Ermm it can make it quite creamy, but if its too (coconuty) ha you can add water and make into your best tast preference.

Ermm it can make it quite creamy, but if its too (coconuty) ha you can add water and make into your best tast preference.
I'll buy some next time.
It's fun trying all the varieties of milk- and finding the ones we prefer. I'm definitely not a huge fan of soya milk, my taste buds seem to 'pick out' the bitter edge. I used up the remaining soya milk on vegan yorkshire puddings- and they tasted lovely!

I found that Rice Dream doesn't curdle in a hot drink, but also Oat Dream doesn't curdle in hot drinks, as Oatly and Provitamil do. I wonder what the Dream people do to it.

I like soya milk coffee but never tried rick milk looking forward to try it

Last edited by a moderator:
I drink soy, but also use rice milk in baking. Rice milk, for me, is a little to sweet to drink, although, when my sons were weaned the doctor recommended they have rice milk until older, and then try them on soy. Both taste good, I'm not sure which one is healthier though.

Reactions: Vegantimmy
is there a powder dried vegan milk anywhere ? i buy soya milk mostly but quite frankly when into cows or goats milk prefered buying powdered cartons more convenient. havent found a vegan dried powder type liquid mix yet.