Reports that children should drink cow's milk

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Earlier this week I saw a news report from CNN that cited reports by "Leading Health Organizations" that children needed 2 or 3 glasses of cow's milk a day. I knew that this was a bad recommendation and I was planning on doing some research and writing a rebuttal to this article in the near future. But some knucklehead jumped the gun and beat me to it with a youtube video.

Below are the links to the CNN article and then there is the youtube video that responds to it.

Actually, I really shouldn't be mad at Dr. Barnard. He saved me some time researching and writing. His video is only a minute long.

I may still come up with something. I think the researchers who don't recommend plant milks may have done so (in good faith) because most plant milks don't contain much protein. But many other foods are good sources of protein. almost all plant milks are supplemented with Calcium, Vitamin D, and other vitamins. And Soy milk also contains as much protein as cow's milk. without the cholesterol and sat fat. So why not recommend soy milk?

"Leading health organizations" should recommend drinking water and getting nutrition from real food.

No need to recommend any milk to kids. These industries are competing for youth market share of unnecessary products and nutritionists shouldn't help either side access them.

Makes me wonder, should marketing to kids even be legal? Is captain crunch really that different from joe camel?

Reactions: Emma JC
Makes me wonder, should marketing to kids even be legal? Is captain crunch really that different from joe camel?
Lots of people would tend to agree with you:

Campaign For a Commercial-Free Childhood
"Founded in 2000 by Dr. Susan Linn and a group of educators, health care professionals, and parents, CCFC has built a powerful movement to end the exploitive practice of marketing to children and promote a modern childhood shaped by what’s best for kids, not corporate profits. Our advocacy is grounded in the overwhelming evidence that child-targeted marketing undermines healthy development and the belief that society bears responsibility for, and benefits immeasurably from, the wellbeing of children. "

https://commercialfreechildhood.org/

@Sax, not to mention Happy Meals.

Saw this a while back and Sax reminded me of it.

• The food and beverage industry spends approximately $2 billion per year marketing to children. 1
  • The fast food industry spends more than $5 million every day marketing unhealthy foods to children. 1
  • Kids watch an average of over ten food-related ads every day (nearly 4,000/year). 2

• Nearly all (98 percent) of food advertisements viewed by children are for products that are high in fat, sugar or sodium. Most (79 percent) are low in fiber. 4
  • Nearly 40% of children’s diets come from added sugars and unhealthy fats. 5
  • Only 21% of youth age 6-19 eat the recommended five or more servings of fruits and vegetables each day 6
  • A mere 12% of grains consumed by children are whole 7
  • One study found that when children were exposed to television content with food advertising, they consumed 45 percent more food than children exposed to content with non-food adverting. 8

Lots of people would tend to agree with you:

Campaign For a Commercial-Free Childhood
"Founded in 2000 by Dr. Susan Linn and a group of educators, health care professionals, and parents, CCFC has built a powerful movement to end the exploitive practice of marketing to children and promote a modern childhood shaped by what’s best for kids, not corporate profits. Our advocacy is grounded in the overwhelming evidence that child-targeted marketing undermines healthy development and the belief that society bears responsibility for, and benefits immeasurably from, the wellbeing of children. "

https://commercialfreechildhood.org/

I think it's quite serious. Most people my age, and frankly they're old enough to know better, think Got Milk or Beef: It's What For Dinner are benign commercials since they were conditioned to think as children this was government information for their health rather than being sold a product. They don't seem to understand that it was even like other commercials. To believe that it was harmful in any way is a "conspiracy theory" like flat earth. Clearly that's not true, because the nutrition isn't hard science like a spherical planet or gravity, but because of the way "science" is packaged in the Western world, people who don't have science degrees don't even know how to measure who funded a study, to compare science such as climate change (with confirmation in over 250 countries peer review) is different from a single study supporting junk food or tobacco, and to trust science that has been ethically funded and peer reviewed with multi-study research. To them "science" is either a singular mighty behemoth or a shady, shifting figure not to be trusted. It's very disturbing. This is a complex problem involving both media and our school system.

I, for one, will never forget this.

Reactions: Emma JC
^ Wow - that was quite a flashback! Yikes. I was actually singing along. That's embarrassing. You know what pisses me off about that toothpaste commercial, and all toothpaste commercials/ads - the freaking amount of toothpaste they depict on the toothbrush. You do not need to use that much! I feel like I am forever trying to de-program my son from using so danged much toothpaste - especially because we get the expensive, fluoride-free kind. Same goes for laundry detergent. When my son was born, we used cloth diapers. I didn't learn until then from the other cloth diapering mamas that you don't need to use the full amount of detergent that they tell you to on the container. To this day I will tell people that and they're like, "Really???" I have a small dish soap bottle that I fill with my laundry detergent and I use it just to squirt some into my laundry. A single container of detergent I swear lasts me over a year.

All they want you to do is buy more more more more.... *sigh*

Attachments

• 1569123182239.png
    1569123182239.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1569123191642.png
    1569123191642.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 0