Children A vegan child's journey

Andy_T

Little green mod
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I read a very uplifting story on Peta's website yesterday, that I wanted to share with you:

PetaKids said:
The following was adapted from an article written by educator and mother of 4, Genelle Palacio and originally appeared on VeganPublishers.com.

My young daughter’s vegan journey started at the age of 3. I served her chicken nuggets when she asked me a question that changed our lives forever. Genesis asked, “Mom, how do you get this food?”

I wanted to take the easy way out, so I told her I bought it from the store. My daughter has always been very intelligent, so I should have known that this would not be a good enough response for her. She asked, “It’s from the store, but where do the nuggets come from?” I stopped for a moment to think about my reply. I have always wanted to be honest with my children, so I told her the truth and said, “Baby, we have to kill animals to get your food.”

She looked at me in disbelief and started to cry. She told me she never wanted to eat animals again, and I told her I would think about it and secretly hoped she would forget our conversation, because I knew if she gave up eating meat, I would have to do it, too.

Genesis.jpg

Now 8 years old, Genesis speaks up for animals whenever she can by leafleting in her town.

Months went by, and she didn’t ask, but I started to research vegetarianism and watch food documentaries. I stopped buying processed food, artificial sugars, and food containing artificial ingredients, but I continued to purchase animal products because I thought I could not live without them.

On occasion, my daughter would ask if we could stop eating animals, and each time, I told her I would think about it. I was considering it because of the health benefits but did not see the ethical aspect to it until I saw pictures posted on Facebook by vegan friends I met online.

After a year of having blinders on, I took them off, and when Genesis was 4 1/2, I told her we could stop eating meat. My husband jumped on board to support us, and we quickly found that going vegetarian wasn’t as hard as we thought it would be. But we never considered going vegan, because we thought we couldn’t live without cheese.

Genesis-Advocates-for-Monkeys.jpg

Genesis cares about all animals and knows that hurting them is wrong. That’s why she decided to attend a protest against animal testing with her family. She even helped make this cute sign!

One year into being a vegetarian, Genesis asked me how cheese was made. I told her cheese was made from milk and milk is taken from cows. I was nursing my baby at the time I told her this, and she said, “Mom, that is like someone taking the milk you are making for my baby sister and giving it to someone else, right?” I looked at my baby, who was nursing, and tears started rolling down my face as I realized she was exactly right. How could I take part in such a cruel industry? Was my love for cheese greater than a calf’s need for his or her mother’s milk?

I told my daughter that if we stop consuming dairy products, then that means no pizza, no mac and cheese, no ice cream, and no birthday cake since these were her favorite foods. She told me, “Mom, if it means a baby cow can have his mother’s milk, then I am OK with that.” I realized that if a young child thought she had enough will power to live without dairy products, then I could, too. From that day on, we have been vegan.

Read more: A Vegan Child's Journey | Parents | PETA Kids