Reduced Oxalates for Kidney Stone Prevention

Before going vegan I had kidney stones 3 very painful times, so I can relate to this post. Since going vegan, I have not reduced my oxalates whatsoever. I am happy to say that I haven't seen kidney stones in well over 10 years now. However, I have both of my kidneys. In a situation like this, with your wife, I would not follow my method simply because there's no margin for error. At least not without a lot of research and a doctor's support - hopefully a plant-based doctor's support.

My non-vegan urologist gave me the same deal when I had my surgeries. He says, "no oxalates!" or very little and hands me a sheet with all this wonderful food NOT to eat. No strawberries, no spinach, quinoa, etc :( It was depressing to say the least!

Also, edde is right, there are several types of kidney stones, but assuming her doctor said no oxalates, I am guessing they are the more common "calcium oxalate" ones. I feel for her, I really do. They are incredibly painful, which I'm sure she's well aware of. I would not want them again or even wish them on an enemy.

Since I have both kidneys, I was willing to take the risk with a vegan diet. I have to wonder if dairy played a role? That's just speculation, on my part, but I did love my dairy. At the end of the day, I would not fool around with just one kidney. You could try finding a plant-based doctor, perhaps. At any rate, I would not make any drastic dietary changes without consulting a qualified doctor.

Doctor Greger has a lot of info on the subject and maybe worth exploring.

Reactions: Lou