Rawvana, not so vegan!

betiPT

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
You may have heard about Rawvana getting caught eating fish without letting her audience know first.

I watched the vid where she was caught eating the fish and she does try to hide it.

She has since made a sorry vid, but it does not look well received with huge amounts of downvotes.

What are your thoughts?

And Mic’s view

People act like she is some sort of vegan guru.

I have never even heard of this person (until after she ate a piece of fish and suddenly it became world news) because after this the internet blew up with non-vegans screaming their lungs out protecting their own views by using her as an example that a vegan diet is not possible and one of our guru's has fallen just because one person didn't do her homework on how to have a balanced vegan diet.

And then they dare say vegans and vegetarians are "know-it-alls" or "pushy"?

She does more bad for veganism and vegetarianism than she has ever done good.

Reactions: betiPT and Lou
Don't know who she is - never heard of her ( but then l am a nearly 59 year old who lives up a mountain and isn't into social media or "news" ) , but , to Mr. Magnetic ( love it) Sax - there is no way l could ever have a deliberate "failure" ..

I simply do not recognise animals as food , and the very idea of putting a part of one in my mouth is disgusting - just as the idea of eating other humans ( or dogs /cats) is disgusting to most people in the Western world ..

Some people are drawn to the "ideology" of veganism , but their hearts aren't really in it ..

It is a consciousness - most people don't seem to have arrived at this consciousness yet ..

Sending you all a big hug xo

While 500k subscribers is a great achievement on the YouTube platform, I'd never encountered Rawvana until I saw just about every other Vegan YouTube creator start p!ssing and moaning about her.

So a person none of us know in real life, decided to eat fish. It's not 'world trade centre' news-worthy, yet every creator desperate for clicks is tearing her apart.

There really are some negative, toxic voices in the Vegan community on Youtube. And it does nothing to get the attention of the newbie looking to change their habits.

Reactions: betiPT
While 500k subscribers is a great achievement on the YouTube platform, I'd never encountered Rawvana until I saw just about every other Vegan YouTube creator start p!ssing and moaning about her.

So a person none of us know in real life, decided to eat fish. It's not 'world trade centre' news-worthy, yet every creator desperate for clicks is tearing her apart.

There really are some negative, toxic voices in the Vegan community on Youtube. And it does nothing to get the attention of the newbie looking to change their habits.

When I was a complete newbie to veganism, and a member here for a few short months, I came across a video of a "former vegetarian/vegan" who claimed they had been for well over a decade (not Rawvana). They claimed it caused them all kinds of health problems. While I was unsure of all the claims, it did plant doubt in my mind. It wasn't until after I'd been vegan for a while that it became clearer to me that some of the things this person said clearly indicated that they were full of it. I can say that from experience, they were just plain lying, and I do not believe for a second they were vegetarian for as long as they said much less a vegan.

But a lot of people do.

Now in the case of Rawvana and those like her - they deserve to be exposed. I watched Freelee's latest video on her and it does a good job of doing just that. It's important to realize the damage some people do pretending to eat what she claimed to eat in a day and maintain, selling starvation diet
plans people get hungry on, and then finding out they weren't even doing it themselves - it was all a ploy to dupe a lot of people and grab their money:

PS: Not plugging Freelee's plan here either. I've never tried it nor at present wish too. I'm happy eating a more whole grain, tuber and legume centered diet with some fruits and vegetables and seeds and nuts for now.

Reactions: betiPT
That Freelee woman should not be a role model for anybody. From where I sit, she appears to have serious mental health issues, she is woefully underweight, and of what I have seen from her diet advice, advocates an extremely high-sugar intake.

If I were a young person (I'm not) looking to social media for persuasion, and encountered Freelee as my first intro to a 'vegan way', or some of the other angry, whining pro-vegan content creators , I would be much less likely to keep learning about the philosophy.

Rather than praise Freelee (or Hench, et al), perhaps people need to silence her ridiculous rantings, and instead promote saner minds, such as That Vegan Couple, to convey the message

That Freelee woman should not be a role model for anybody. From where I sit, she appears to have serious mental health issues, she is woefully underweight, and of what I have seen from her diet advice, advocates an extremely high-sugar intake.

If I were a young person (I'm not) looking to social media for persuasion, and encountered Freelee as my first intro to a 'vegan way', or some of the other angry, whining pro-vegan content creators , I would be much less likely to keep learning about the philosophy.

Rather than praise Freelee (or Hench, et al), perhaps people need to silence her ridiculous rantings, and instead promote saner minds, such as That Vegan Couple, to convey the message
I find That Vegan Couple irritating! I do think that Freelee did a good job on the Rawvana response, although I know what you mean by she has some serious issues.

I find That Vegan Couple irritating! I do think that Freelee did a good job on the Rawvana response, although I know what you mean by she has some serious issues.
Irritating, sure. I find their extreme positivity to be a little over the top. I should have been more specific, and was referring to the videos they do where the woman is on the street talking to the public.

I'm genuinely perplexed though, as to why well over half of all the popular vegan channels on YouTube are constantly filled with b!tching about other people rather than spreading a positive message on the how/what/why of a plant-based lifestyle. Nor do I get all these new channels that are created when someone has proclaimed to be vegan for all of five minutes, and simply must tell the world about it. Overall I think it's one of the worst categories on YouTube, and a lot of these people need to wake the hell up and stop acting like douchebags.