Raising Chickens 101

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
This is a series of articles by someone with expertise in raising chickens.

http://www.almanac.com/blog/raising-chickens/raising-chickens-101-how-get-started

I thought this would be useful for anyone considering raising chickens. I know Poppy mentioned the possibility.

Please note that the second half of the last article discusses killing a chicken, so you may want to skip that part. Obviously, anyone on this board with chickens is more likely to let a chicken die of old age, or, if the chicken is seriously ill or injured, allow a vet to humanely euthanize the bird.

What to do with the chickens' eggs if nobody in the household eats eggs? Let's see...
thinking.gif

1. Donate them to a food bank.
2. Give them to a neighbor who eats eggs.
3. Sell them at a farmer's market.

A few years ago I downloaded (and paid for) a manual on how to raise chickens. I would really love to and I'm pretty sure we are zoned for it but hubby has zero interest in it and I would want it to be a joint endeavor as I do not want to take on the responsibility by myself. I <3 chickens.

You should feed the eggs back to the chickens. It gives them back the nutritious they lost when they layed the egg, and they go crazy for them.

Reactions: thefadedone
I had chickens for years when I lived with my parents, but I couldn't exactly take their chickens with me when I moved hundreds of miles away. :p
They are great companions! I miss having them around.