Question Protein needs

J

JStein

I weigh 295 pounds. I should weigh 150 pounds. If I took in the amount of protein, they say I should per pound I would need close to 200 g of protein per day. I don’t see how I could do that, should I base my protein needs on my Goal weight instead?

Reactions: KLS52
should I base my protein needs on my Goal weight instead?
Yes. in fact that is pretty much what everyone says. But being that your current weight is so far from your goal weight - there might be some adjustments or considerations. Come to think of it you really should consult a doctor and maybe have him refer you to a Registered Dietician.

Generally speaking a person should diet to lose weight in a gradual incremental way. One or two pounds a week is considered a safe, healthy, practical rate. But in your case it might make more sense to lose weight faster - at least in the beginning. Again I recommend seeing a doctor and getting good advice.

Another way to look at it is that protein should make up about 20% of your daily calories.
So let's say you limit yourself to 1500 calories a day. that would mean about 75 g or protein a day.

I remember Dr Greger answering that question as protein needs should be based on ideal weight rather than current weight.
If you're reducing calories it wouldn't make sense to keep your protein (or any macro) at the same value at the same as your calories for maintaining your weight.
Remember that when you lose weight you're pretty much burning the calories you lose. Even cholesterol levels can go up simply because you're consuming your own fat

• Informative