Protein amount based on optimal or true weight?

Sunny

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi everyone, I was told that we need to base our protein intake on our current weight- so if we are overweight our protein intake needs to increase accordingly but having just watched a video by Dr. Greger (it is from 2016) he says that our protein intake should be based on our healthy weight, not our current weight. Any opinions?

Hi everyone, I was told that we need to base our protein intake on our current weight- so if we are overweight our protein intake needs to increase accordingly but having just watched a video by Dr. Greger (it is from 2016) he says that our protein intake should be based on our healthy weight, not our current weight. Any opinions?
Yes. I'm very sure that is right.
That sort of works for underweight people as well.
My RD used the term "goal weight". Which fits underweight people, overweight people, athletes and weight lifters.

Also as I was saying just the other day in another thread. You don't really have to worry that much about protein. If you eat a varied diet of Whole Foods - and eat enough calories - you get enough protein. So mostly it's figuring out how many calories you should be eating.

its not a coincidence that to determine the amount of calories you should shoot for, the tables, charts and programs also use the term "goal weight".

It even makes sense and is logical, that your goal weight determines both your calorie and protein intake. A guy trying to gain weight would then eat more calories and ( almost automatically) more protein. And a guy trying to lose weight would eat less calories and would then be eating less protein.

Something else to keep in mind. is that amount of protein you need does not go up if you gain weight. protein is not really needed to maintain fat.

However your protein requirement does go up if you are trying to gain muscle. I think this might be why you might use the term Goal Weight instead of Healthy weight. Probably don't want to imply that the body builders are healthy.

BTW, despite public opinion, protein does not build muscle. Exercise builds muscle. the amount of "extra" protein a body builder needs is pretty small and often over estimated.

on the flip side, exercise does not help that much in losing weight. Diet does the most. A 2 mile walk burns about 200 calories. You would be better off skipping the donut. But get in that 2 mile walk anyway
:)

Reactions: bEt and Sunny
Yes. I'm very sure that is right.
That sort of works for underweight people as well.
My RD used the term "goal weight". Which fits underweight people, overweight people, athletes and weight lifters.

Also as I was saying just the other day in another thread. You don't really have to worry that much about protein. If you eat a varied diet of Whole Foods - and eat enough calories - you get enough protein. So mostly it's figuring out how many calories you should be eating.

its not a coincidence that to determine the amount of calories you should shoot for, the tables, charts and programs also use the term "goal weight".

It even makes sense and is logical, that your goal weight determines both your calorie and protein intake. A guy trying to gain weight would then eat more calories and ( almost automatically) more protein. And a guy trying to lose weight would eat less calories and would then be eating less protein.

Something else to keep in mind. is that amount of protein you need does not go up if you gain weight. protein is not really needed to maintain fat.

However your protein requirement does go up if you are trying to gain muscle. I think this might be why you might use the term Goal Weight instead of Healthy weight. Probably don't want to imply that the body builders are healthy.

BTW, despite public opinion, protein does not build muscle. Exercise builds muscle. the amount of "extra" protein a body builder needs is pretty small and often over estimated.

on the flip side, exercise does not help that much in losing weight. Diet does the most. A 2 mile walk burns about 200 calories. You would be better off skipping the donut. But get in that 2 mile walk anyway
:)
Thanks so much. I am glad to hear your thoughts about this. I usually don't worry about my protein intake but I am trying to lose weight and am unsure if I need to up the protein in order to help slim down. I have been told this numerous times by different people so it must be a school of thought for some. I am using cronometer to keep an eye on my calorie intake etc but I was unsure about setting my protein amount so high, i mean if I needed to increase it according to my current weight.

Reactions: Lou
Unless you have a problem with ocd or eating disorders I highly recommend:
It's not about dieting, it's really a fascinating research all about human physiology. If you're not familiar with Dr Greger, I find his way of writing, and speaking, very engaging, and at a level for the general public to understand
I do caution about ocd because while he doesn't advocate, there is just so much detail that if someone were already prone to obsess or fear they could be triggered

I'm listening to this on audiobook again from my library. It really is helping me want to make better choices.

Unless you have a problem with ocd or eating disorders I highly recommend:
It's not about dieting, it's really a fascinating research all about human physiology. If you're not familiar with Dr Greger, I find his way of writing, and speaking, very engaging, and at a level for the general public to understand
I do caution about ocd because while he doesn't advocate, there is just so much detail that if someone were already prone to obsess or fear they could be triggered

I'm listening to this on audiobook again from my library. It really is helping me want to make better choices.
Thank you. Since joining this forum I have become aware of him. Will check out the book :)

I am a big fan of CronOmeter.

The preprogrammed defaults are probably good enough. I have fiddled with CronOmeter so I don't remember what the defaults are. I like that you can set your Macro Nutrient goals as a percentage of your calorie intake.
I think a good goal is 20/60/20. But I have a lot of trouble hitting 20 for protein and keeping below 25 for fat.

I just checked and I noticed that Chronometer uses the term "weight goal"

I am a big fan of CronOmeter.

The preprogrammed defaults are probably good enough. I have fiddled with CronOmeter so I don't remember what the defaults are. I like that you can set your Macro Nutrient goals as a percentage of your calorie intake.
I think a good goal is 20/60/20. But I have a lot of trouble hitting 20 for protein and keeping below 25 for fat.

I just checked and I noticed that Chronometer uses the term "weight goal"
I'm used to seeing the ratio done as Carb/Protein/Fat
Just saying
I've found my average is 55, which is just right for my size, that's just from beans, lentils, tofu, seeds, nuts. When I have seitan it's higher.

• Informative
Reactions: bEt and PTree15