EU Promoting Dog Adoption & Feeding Them Meat

Ohad

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegetarian
Should we promote dog adoption for people that would feed them with meat?

I saw a post on Facebook of someone begging for people to adopt some dog, who was going to be killed the next day. I asked a friend if she wants to adopt him. She said she would want to, but her mother wouldn’t allow it. Then I was going to convince her but then I thought “wait a sec, she’s going to feed her with other dead animals anyway”. And I know that there is vegan food for dogs, but even a lot of vegans give their dogs animal flesh, so we should not expect non vegans to do it.

I talked to my activist friend and she told me that dogs can develop compassion in non vegans. But I said I don’t see how adoption would be an effective way to promote veganism. But I definitely see how it’s an effective way to actually make people increase their consumption of animal products. My friend also said she thinks the dog food is made from leftovers, therefore doesn’t require more animals to be murdered. But I’m not sure myself if it’s true.

So should we promote adoption to non vegans?

Reactions: Varunpaherwar
I guess I need to know the alternative. If it’s to euthanize the over abundance of dogs in shelters then I would say yes. More appropriately, I would step up the campaign for them to be spayed/neutered and stop the breeders.

I guess I need to know the alternative. If it’s to euthanize the over abundance of dogs in shelters then I would say yes. More appropriately, I would step up the campaign for them to be spayed/neutered and stop the breeders.
You mean you would say yes to promote adoption?

Although most of being vegan is pretty straight forward there are some fuzzy margins. Or what some would call gray areas.

Some vegans look for the answers from outside. What is the position of PETA or what is the Position of the Vegan Society.

Some vegans attempt to come up with their own position. Usually this requres more than a basic understanding of Ethics. But even then the answers aren't easily attained.

I usually exhaust both those options first. but then my fall back position is what feels right. I would like to say that after reading other opinions I'm making an informed judgement.

One of the tenets I believe in is that veganism is not really about being vegan. Being vegan is not a destination but a journey. The destination or the goal of veganism is being compassionate.

IMHO there is no single more compassionate act than to adopt an animal. Taking an animal that would either spend years in a cage or perhaps be euthanized into your home is an incredibly compassionate act.

perhaps some people who learn to love a dog or a cat might make that connection that cows and pigs are just as worthy of compassion as dogs and cats. And stop eating cows and pigs. That is just icing on the cake.

Should we promote dog adoption for people that would feed them with meat?

I saw a post on Facebook of someone begging for people to adopt some dog, who was going to be killed the next day. I asked a friend if she wants to adopt him. She said she would want to, but her mother wouldn’t allow it. Then I was going to convince her but then I thought “wait a sec, she’s going to feed her with other dead animals anyway”. And I know that there is vegan food for dogs, but even a lot of vegans give their dogs animal flesh, so we should not expect non vegans to do it.

I talked to my activist friend and she told me that dogs can develop compassion in non vegans. But I said I don’t see how adoption would be an effective way to promote veganism. But I definitely see how it’s an effective way to actually make people increase their consumption of animal products. My friend also said she thinks the dog food is made from leftovers, therefore doesn’t require more animals to be murdered. But I’m not sure myself if it’s true.

So should we promote adoption to non vegans?
Yes, because it at least saves/improves the lives of those animals.

Reactions: Brian W
Normally people feel compassion towards a select few animals like cats, dogs, and other animals that are considered "pets".
They don't feel compassion towards "food" animals.

What made me see the light was feeling compassion towards an animal that most people don't feel compassion for- rats. Hearing people buy live mice/rats and comparing it to ordering a cheeseburger (When I worked at a pet store) Used to go home, vent to my mom "how dare they compare the two", then I realized maybe I'm in the wrong too. Cows suffer to become cheeseburgers, like the rats suffer when they become live food for snakes.
There are a lot of rat owners that feed their rats meat, too, and think they need it to be healthy. I choose not to feed mine meat.
Dogs can be picky, so even if you have a vegan who believes dogs can thrive on a vegan diet, they may not be able to get them to eat the food.
I think it could make them feel more strongly towards it being ok to eat meat to have a dog.

Last edited: