Professional sports

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
If your country wins the World Cup, does it change your life? If your favorite football team wins the Super Bowl, does it really change your life? Many sports fans become very emotional about sports. Why do you think this is the case?

professional sport is like an artificial construct; a virtual world that connects to the real world. It is the same as when you complete a computer game....there is a feeling of success, that one has won, and that connects to the rest of the world, which is also sort of a construct. A construct in people's minds, and a construct of nature.

Arsenal won the FA cup this year, and although I am not a big follower, I still have those feelings of success, and that the world is a better place, maybe a safer place.

I've tried attending game based social gatherings before. It involved everyone else clinging with exaggerated enthusiasm to every single thing that happened in the game and me, bored out of my mind, trying to find a reason to give half a sh** about the progression of the game in an attempt to fit in.

Sometimes I feel like Dexter trying to build a life that doesn't make me appear so obviously to be a psychopath, or Data, trying unsuccessfully to understand this peculiar human concept known as emotion :p

It's an obsession with a piece of media the same as any other obsession with a piece of media, normalized above the others by our society simply due to its long history.

That is what always comes to my mind when I hear the original question ....

View attachment 14409
Maybe if we could somehow 'gameify' participation in things that matter, then we could make the world a better place? E.g. an app that can barcode scan your groceries and give you points for enviro-friendliness. And it could somehow register your mode of travel and give points on that as well.