Products you had no idea WERE vegetarian

A "pig in a blanket" is a croissant roll with a (real or fake) hot dog inside, sometimes also with (real or fake) cheese on it.

Wrong.

I wonder when this abomination was created, as it didn't exist when I was of prime hot dog eating age. When I did hear of it, for years they were only made with "little smokies," as appetizers. (You have to cut the crescent roll triangles into thirds.) Now they are made with full-sized hot dogs? Why would you do that instead of just using a bun?

/cranky old lady

Haha, call them what you like, I call them delicious. :p

I use these:
6455493083_2c7dff83b1.jpg

They are about half the size of normal hot dogs, and fit perfectly in a crescent. I have no idea if they are similar to little smokies or not. They are different from regular hot dogs, though;softer and less rubbery.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
They are? I need to eat about three tubes of those now. What do you use for the "pig" part? Is there a vegan version of little-smokies?

Edit: Also, I don't care how many times I see/hear hot-dog-wrapped-in-bread referred to as a "pig in a blanket," to me pigs in blankets will always be ground meat (substitute crumbles!) with rice, tomatoes, and seasonings wrapped in cabbage leaves.

I've seen recipes that just cut up the normal vegan hot dogs into weenie sized pieces.

And what you described is stuffed cabbage.

Reactions: FortyTwo
I was surprised when I found out Whole Foods pies did not contain milk or eggs! (or lard)
Had their cherry pie. wish I didn't eat it all last night... :drool: :sigh: :sob: