Products you had no idea WERE vegetarian

Veggiemama

Forum Senior
Reaction score
I posted another thread about products you may be surprised to know are NOT vegetarian. On the flip side there's also products that ARE vegetarian that may be surprising!!

Bacos (bacon bits for salads, potatoes, etc). These are actually made of soy and have no pig ingredients

Reactions: Kittendumpling
They're not here in the UK. :sniff:
I think skittles aren't either? They are here. (At least plain and sour that I've checked) I don't see why companies that have a perfectly good vegan recipe would continue to make products not vegan in other places.

Bacos (bacon bits for salads, potatoes, etc). These are actually made of soy and have no pig ingredients

The gel cups at Aldi's - they contain no gelatin.

Bacon Salt. All of the flavors are vegetarian and the hickory flavor is vegan.

Oreos being vegan was a big shocker to me.

totally agree and I was shocked way way way back by the bacos....lol

peace, love & holistic healing

I had no idea that oysters were vegetarian!

Sorry... just having fun with that other place.

:p

Reactions: Danielle
My Dad likes these graham cracker cookies that have a layer of mint filling and get dipped in a chocolate coating. They also make peanut butter versions. I had assumed they were not vegan, but I happened to read the label, and was like "whoa, I can eat these!" They are the store's own brand though, so not likely to be available elsewhere.

Also, the salt water taffy you can get in Yosemite is accidentally vegan. So is the salt water taffy I can get in a little coffee and gift shop in town. That was always my favorite candy as a child, and I missed it for a long time. it does pay to read labels even if you think it is hopeless. :p

I had no idea that oysters were vegetarian!

Sorry... just having fun with that other place.

:p

I've been in Chinese takeaways and oyster sauce has been listed under the vegetarian section. :fp: And I asked, it wasn't the vegetarian oyster sauce made with mushrooms, it was made with real oysters.

I've been in Chinese takeaways and oyster sauce has been listed under the vegetarian section. :fp: And I asked, it wasn't the vegetarian oyster sauce made with mushrooms, it was made with real oysters.

Same here. It always pisses me off to see that. Sometimes they even have fish meals listed in the vegetarian section as well.:mad:

Reactions: Veggiemama
Same here. It always pisses me off to see that. Sometimes they even have fish meals listed in the vegetarian section as well.:mad:

Also, things labelled as vegetarian that contain Parmesan cheese. It's not ******* vegetarian! :fp:

In Europe Parmesan is a protected designation of origin. It means only things produce in a certain place and to a certain recipe can be called parmesan. (It's like how sparkling wine can only be called champagne if it is from a certain region in France .)
Therefore all parmesan cheese in the UK has to have rennet it in by law. And you can't use a similar cheese and have it labelled as "parmesan". Instead it has to be called something like "Italian hard cheese".

And I've just found yet another restaurant which I'm going to have to contact about this: http://www.madjacks.uk.com/food-menus.cfm

I had to contact them last year because they had smoked salmon listed under the vegetarian menu. :fp: