US Prevalence of Landline Telephones in US Homes

I have a landline that is basically a phone connected to my TV fiber cable modem. Does that count?

I have a land line that was part of a TV/Cable.internet/phone package.

I really don't want a landline, but we've given out our number to so many people, schools, doctors offices, etc over the years, that it would be a huge pain to contact them all to update the number to our cell phones.

I've had a succession of cellphones for about 20 years. Over the years I've used my cellphone more and my landline less, so at some point I started giving out my cellphone number and not my landline number. I still encounter companies and individuals that still use my landline number as my primary number and it's a bit of a PIA to have them switch to my cellphone number, but I do it anyway, the reason being I'm interested in eventually getting rid of my landline number. I use my cellphone for making and receiving phone calls exclusively now. In the past I liked having a landline as a backup in an emergency, but with a cellphone I'm not sure I need my landline for that.

The kitchen in my apartment has a phone jack on the wall. I've considered buying a phone just to complete the look.

Reactions: Mischief
I imagine eventually young people moving into old apartments and houses will see phone jacks on the walls and have no clue what they are and what they're for.

Yes, I was the one who provided the cite in the other article. (Which stated that 40% of U.S. households no longer had a landline - IOW, 60% did have a landline.)

How much does your internet and phone cost per month ? I have an a unlimited internet and phone plan for € 19.99.
I also have a cell phone with Virgin ; a 2 hour and unlimited sms plan for €2.99.

I also think that it's not convenient to just rely on a cell if the network goes down or if you lose it. Furthermore, I also don't like having long conversations on a cell as the quality isn't as good as a landline phone.
Apparently I need to move out of the US.
I think I'm too embarrassed to say what I pay for the triple bundle which is internet, phone and cable tv. And I don't have any movie channels, like HBO or Showtime...just basic and super basic. I'll look up what an introductory offer is, and I pay more than that because I'm an existing customer.

ETA: so, apparently, I would pay $50 less a month for 12 months if I were a new customer. [emoji45] I hate that.

Last edited:
I miss not having a landline. If I had my own place, I would consider getting one.

I imagine eventually young people moving into old apartments and houses will see phone jacks on the walls and have no clue what they are and what they're for.
I was watching an old movie with my daighter (27), and she didn't know what a film case was.
b0dfc4eeb32ff4fa2f3bdeb3fcb353f8.jpg

This always pisses me off.
I threatened to leave verizon once, and they gave me the New Customer pricing. I've done similar with Sprint and Direct TV (got free nfl ticket).

You just have to keep talking until they transfer you to Customer Retention, and they are authorized to give you a deal to keep you from switching.

Reactions: KLS52