US Politics-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well written article.

really like this imagery

In 2018, halfway through the Trump presidency, Michelle Alexander wrote a powerful essay arguing that we are not the resistance. We, she declared, are the mighty river they are trying to dam. I see it flowing, and I see the tributaries that pour into it and swell its power, and I see that once firmly grounded statues and assumptions have become flotsam in its current.​

Well written, but I disagree with the general tone of inevitability. Social progress is not a given, victory is not assured, and even if it were set backs along the way can be extremely harmful....think of the optimism blacks and abolitionists must have felt after winning the Civil War, only to see generations more racism and oppression.

The authoritarians might win. The anti-authoritarians in power aren't giving me much reason for optimism.

Well written, but I disagree with the general tone of inevitability. Social progress is not a given, victory is not assured, and even if it were set backs along the way can be extremely harmful....think of the optimism blacks and abolitionists must have felt after winning the Civil War, only to see generations more racism and oppression.

The authoritarians might win. The anti-authoritarians in power aren't giving me much reason for optimism.

I actually went back and re-read the article to look for something to back up inevitability. The author doesn't make as big a deal of this as maybe she should have: the mighty river of change is powered by demographics. Each decade our voting population becomes more brown and younger. Both things that should make voters more progressive. We already see some of this in polling on abortion, gun rights, and climate change.

While the right has become far more extreme and has its tens of millions of true believers, it is morphing into a minority sect. This has prompted their desperate scramble to overturn free and fair elections and other democratic processes. White Christians, who were 80% of the population in 1976, are now 44%. Mixed-race and non-white people are rapidly becoming the majority. On issues such as climate, people of color are far more progressive; if we can make it through the huge backlash of the present moment, the possibilities are dazzling.

Republicans probably can't win in a fair election so they hold on to power with laws that disenfranchise voters.

Republican senators must rely on obstruction and not action.

This year I don't have much reason for optimism either. In fact, many of the experts predict that dems lose seats in 2022. So it might take till 2026 to start to see the pendulum swing back. but I agree with the author - it is inevitable.

Progressives can't take racial minorities for granted. Trump won a greater share of Latin American vote in 2020 than in 2016 despite his clear and virulent racism. Large portions of minority communities are conservative and prefer conservative leaders and policies.

Liberalism is backsliding all over the world and authoritarianism fueled by xenophobia is on the rise....its the exact wrong time to take continued progress for granted IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15
I heard an interesting quote this morning...

"Our techonology is moving faster than our spirituality" (consciousness rising) and so this is creating a disconnect between progress and love.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Friendly
Reactions: Sax, Lou and KLS52
Progressives can't take racial minorities for granted. Trump won a greater share of Latin American vote in 2020 than in 2016 despite his clear and virulent racism. Large portions of minority communities are conservative and prefer conservative leaders and policies.

Liberalism is backsliding all over the world and authoritarianism fueled by xenophobia is on the rise....its the exact wrong time to take continued progress for granted IMO.
I've known for a while that Cuban Americans tend to vote conservative, but which other "subgroups" of Latin American voters are conservative?

I've known for a while that Cuban Americans tend to vote conservative, but which other "subgroups" of Latin American voters are conservative?

I wasn't suggesting any particular subgroups were conservative. Just that racial minorities as a whole, just like humanity as whole, are largely comprised of people that prefer conservative values, policies and politicians. Whether that portion makes up majority or not doesn't really matter, we can't just take it for granted that minorities will support progressives....anyone who wants their vote needs to earn it by representing their values and concerns and that isn't necessarily the most progressive values and concerns.

The computer chip implant is coming soon! Within the next twelve month I wager, or even this year. (50% it will be this year).

^^
I'm going to be talking a lot more about this as it rolls out, right now I know that the chip is supposed to have your bank account on it, and this is extremely bad because the government wants to control your money through this (They plan to do away with physical money) they want to be able to decide what you can spend your money on, and how much money your allowed to have, eventually they would like to use this chip for the digital ID Klaus Schwab talked about in his book "The great reset" The end goal that these people have is to use this to govern every aspect of your life.

Here's a promotional video from a military contracting company describing the sort of thing I am telling you about, they don't mention it as a chip-implant, but they do give a sort of idea on how it's going to work (If it is allowed to happen),

Also I found this article on it, which includes of video from Ron Paul, which I found interesting.

If you want to get an even clearer idea of what I'm talking about I suggest you read "the great reset" by Klaus Schwab.

Also the fertility rate is about to drop by a lot, I tell you more about that later.

Looks like the Build Back Better bill is likely to fail and a chance that the Biden Presidency will accomplish little of real change.

Measures on climate change, expanded healthcare, preschools/childcare etc were popular, but a minority of the country including big business, Republicans, and Joe Manchin likes ruling over the majority. It was Manchin that dealt the final below but remember the below list of companies all indirectly opposed and helped to kill this bill because of their membership fees to the Business Round Table and other organizations. I think big tech just cares more about tax rates than they do about climate change or poor people.

Microsoft
Linked In (owned by Microsoft)
Apple
Amazon
Disney
Google
Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.