Plastic free deodorant

Damo

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I started using just sheabutter for deodorant but I'm realising sheabutter alone isn't the greatest deodoriser... It's getting warm again so I'm on the lookout for something that doesn't come wrapped in plastic or cost the earth, anyone have any ideas?

I've found something called "alum crystals" but online reviews can be deceiving, anyone here happen to have used them before? How long do they last? Do they actually work?

Cheers! :relieved:

From what I have read, they may work as a deodorizer but definitely not as an antiperspirant.

I personally would not be able to use them as I would end up with soaked shirts by the end of the day

but if your goal is just to smell better despite the sweat, then I say go for it! I will always champion reducing plastic waste

Reactions: Damo
I have been using alum crystals for years now and they work perfectly for me. They last a very long time too and so I don't feel so bad about the container and it does make travelling with it much simpler.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
Here are some DIY deodorant recipes, they are super easy to make. Plus, if you make your own, it'll be unbelievably cheap, while also cutting out single-use plastics.

I think you were on the right track with the shea butter (moisturizes) but just needed to add some arrowroot powder (absorption) along with some essential oils (fragrance).

Reactions: Lou
I feel a little like the odd man out in this thread, but since turning vegan, I've found I hardly ever need deodorant. If I drink
too much beer, then yeah, but normally, no. Hehe, before typing this response I gave my pits a good sniff, and nope, none needed, and I haven't showered today, or yesterday. Not that I've worked up much of a sweat in the last couple of days, but I used to need deodorant every day as an omni, physical exertion or no.

Maybe more greens in one's life? I love my Cos(Romaine) lettuce and broccoli and eat them nearly every day in generous amounts (especially the Cos).

Here are some DIY deodorant recipes, they are super easy to make. Plus, if you make your own, it'll be unbelievably cheap, while also cutting out single-use plastics.

I think you were on the right track with the shea butter (moisturizes) but just needed to add some arrowroot powder (absorption) along with some essential oils (fragrance).

I did see a few guides on making your own online maybe I'll give it a try if these alum crystals don't work out, thanks! :)

https://uk.lush.com/products/deodorants-dusting-powders

I use T'Eo and it works very well.
Arrived naked in a cardboard box with foamies made 100% from potato starch.

While I do love things from Lush it's fairly expensive and I notice their bars in general don't last very long but thanks!

I've found I hardly ever need deodorant.

I envy your pits :joy:

Reactions: Emma JC
I use essential oils and baking soda. I apply a thin coating of an essential oil (frankincense, patchouli, orange oil, tea tree) then pat baking soda on. Do it every morning.

If your skin is easily irritated you can combine it into a paste with coconut oil, but I find that to be really messy. If you have a problem with odor, or are working outdoors in warm weather, the tea tree is more powerful than other oils.

I'm just happy I found out my deo doesn't contain animal products... I googled the ingredients lol, unless it's tested on animals it should be vegan but can't find that anywhere...
I sweat a lot at work so I use the spray can 4/5 times a day lol (in the weekend one or twice, 0 times if I don't leave the house) Can't help it, it's often quite warm in the workplace then certain machines I work with give off heat as well, carrying things, walking around... Also I always go to work by bike as I can't drive... I even arrive in sweat...

So y'all can imagine I can't afford those trendy special deodorants. I'm happy mine is vegan, cheap, free from alcohol and doesn't cause any allergic reactions (which is a problem with me too, they thought it was perfume allergy first but nope) I lived without deo when I studied in the city and travelled by bus but as soon as I started biking again... I could literally smell myself sometimes... So I have no choice but to use it now. I can use one spray can for a few weeks which is fine I guess...

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
I feel a little like the odd man out in this thread, but since turning vegan, I've found I hardly ever need deodorant. If I drink
too much beer, then yeah, but normally, no. Hehe, before typing this response I gave my pits a good sniff, and nope, none needed, and I haven't showered today, or yesterday. Not that I've worked up much of a sweat in the last couple of days, but I used to need deodorant every day as an omni, physical exertion or no.

Maybe more greens in one's life? I love my Cos(Romaine) lettuce and broccoli and eat them nearly every day in generous amounts (especially the Cos).
I envy your pits :joy:

This thread has been in the back of my mind for some time and I'd like to revise my response. There are days when there is something of a pungent smell that I can detect when I really dig my nose into my underarm area and take a good whiff( :p ), although nothing like when I was a meat/dairy eater. I was alerted in a video that this may be onions and/or garlic. I cut them out for a while and noticed a difference. Great foods to eat...just be aware.

Oh, and an edit because I realized someone is probably thinking this Nekodaiden character who may go a few days without a shower is a smelly hippie, lol. For starters, you smell less when you go vegan, no toxic byproducts of meat/dairy/eggs coming out of one's pores. Secondly, I use a bidet, which means my behind is clean and I'm not walking around all day with the remnants of smeared crap on my *** like people who use toilet paper, lol. Because you wanted and needed to know this, I have shared it. :)

Last edited:
I've used the crystals for many years. They work better for me than deo ever did. I buy a generously sized one, and it lasts me about two years. The one I buy is just a lump of crystal in a cellophane wrapper like a piece of hard candy, so minimal plastic.

Reactions: Emma JC
Informative thread. As soon as I saw “alum” I associated it with aluminum so I did a little research. Good to know there is a difference between the two. I stopped using aluminum based deodorants because of the possible link to Alzheimer’s. I may have to try these alum crystals.