Zero waste household?

das_nut

Forum Legend
Reaction score
A family has created what is nearly a zero-trash household:

Small wonder then that where the rest of us continue to produce unthinkable amounts of waste, Johnson and her family produced one small glass jar’s worth last year. ‘Zero waste really happens outside the home,’ she explains, showing me the jar with its occasional sweet wrapper, bits of electrical wire and the odd paper ticket. ‘You might recycle or even compost but that’s not actually what it’s about – it’s about not buying, period. Once you buy something, you’ll have to find a way of disposing of it when it’s dead.’

Johnson’s mantra is simple: refuse, reduce, reuse, recycle, rot. By following these five Rs, she says, you too can live a streamlined green life. She admits her own conversion wasn’t easy. Scott took some time to be convinced (‘even now I think he misses paper towels’) and there were moments she went too far.

- From the Metro

I could see this being a nice goal to have, but I wonder how well it would work for veg*ns. It seems like a lot of work - I'd have to give up soymilk (since they don't come in glass jars) for making my own. Fake meats and cheeses would be out as well, due to packaging. I suppose breakfast cereal would be out, unless I can find shredded wheat in the bulk bins. Oh, and tofu comes in its own plastic wrapping. :(

But it would be awesome if our household could get down to this level of trash. We already try to buy bulk - soap, olive oil, grains, coffee - even bringing our own containers. So we are on the path now, but I'm not sure if I can get down to this household's level of waste.

Good for them. It's very admirable. I have a long way to go to even come close to their level. :(

Good concept. I read she takes jars to the market to have the meat placed inside. She may want to cut the meat out.

I do believe that all of us that try to reduce are doing some good. I'd probably never get to that level either. In fact I know I wouldn't. I also know my garbage is much less. I use empty chip, bread, cereal and other bags as garbage bags. I do use plastic bags for lunch but reuse them as long as I can and then they become litter box waste holders.

Reactions: KLS52
A very interesting article.
I recycle cardboard, paper, glass and plastic. I buy food in bulk when it is available and cheaper than pre-packed. I always reuse plastic bags and even paper towels. I have small plastic containers for sandwiches, biscuits and muffins.

I use white vinegar to clean the floor and work surface. Savon de Marseille for washing hands.

I'm far from being as green as the lady in the article but far better than most of my neighbours.

Very impressive. I try to be as frugal as possible. I always reuse everything and anything. I don't create a lot of garbage, but I could never follow rule number one. I have a terrible time turning down free or cheap deals. I hardly ever refuse an offer .

Very impressive. I try to be as frugal as possible. I always reuse everything and anything. I don't create a lot of garbage, but I could never follow rule number one. I have a terrible time turning down free or cheap deals. I hardly ever refuse an offer .

It's only cheap when you needed it. Else, it's not. ;)