News Plant Based/Vegan

I just went to the American Diabetes Association's website. They have several different levels of corporate sponsorship, but I couldn't find any livestock industries listed. I'll go look again... but you know a weird thing?... The Idaho Potato Commission IS. From ADA's listing of their corporate sponsors on the ADA website National Sponsors | ADA :

You're right. But Danon Yogurt is on the list.
Most of the livestock corporate partners are over on the AHA list.

My blood test last year indicated I was pre-diabetic;
Not so sure you have to worry about carbs or potatoes that much.
Best thing you can do is lose some more weight.
And don't use the charts in the doctor's office. Those are a bit skewed. Use one of the BMI calculators on line that require you to measure more than your height and waist.

As you already know vegetables even the starchy ones, although they have a lot of carbs, also have a lot of fiber which really slows down the rate of absorption. Even fruit is a good source - although you might want to spead them out. half a banana I the morning and then the other half in the afternoon.

Another good trick that does not get enough press is to exercise Before breakfast. and even better - make you exercise less intense but longer. This makes your body raid your fat supplies for energy.

If you experience some light -headedness. that is actually a good sign. Take a little break. it means that your blood sugar has gone down too much and your body has to scrounge for glucose. it if needs to break down fat to do this it might take a minute.
(so Splenda would probably have many potential customers in the Diabetic community). And being overweight is a known risk factor for Type 2 Diabetes, so Weight Watchers and ADA have similar goals.

This might need to be double checked but I am pretty sure that Splenda also messes up the whole blood sugar level thing - where your body mistakes the Splenda for sugar. and besides isn't Splenda a known carcinogen?

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
You're right. But Danon Yogart is on the list.
Most of the livestock corporate partners are over on the AHA list.

Not so sure you have to worry about carbs or potatoes that much.
Best thing you can do is lose some more weight.
And don't use the charts in the doctor's office. Those are a bit skewed. Use one of the BMI calculators on line that require you to measure more than your height and waist.

As you already know vegetables even the starchy ones, although they have a lot of carbs, also have a lot of fiber which really slows down the rate of absorption. Even fruit is a good source - although you might want to spead them out. half a banana I the morning and then the other half in the afternoon.

Another good trick that does not get enough press is to exercise Before breakfast. and even better - make you exercise less intense but longer. This makes your body raid your fat supplies for energy.

If you experience some light -headedness. that is actually a good sign. Take a little break. it means that your blood sugar has gone down too much and your body has to scrounge for glucose. it if needs to break down fat to do this it might take a minute.

This might need to be double checked but I am pretty sure that Splenda also messes up the whole blood sugar level thing - where your body mistakes the Splenda for sugar. and besides isn't Splenda a known carcinogen?

Mod Post

If you wish to continue this conversation, it would be preferable to do so in the Health Forum.

What!!!!? :hmm:
Most of that list makes no sense to me-

Top 10 foods vegans miss

According to the data, vegans typically crave classic comfort foods such as:

1. Chocolate (18,100)
  2. Banana bread (12,100)
  3. Cheese (12,100)
  4. Burger (8,100)
  5. Curry (8,100)
  6. Butter (6,600)
  7. Cupcakes (6,600)
  8. Ice Cream (6,600)
  9. Cookies (5,400)
  10. Marshmallows
I guess because I always liked dark chocolate, for one, but banana bread is the same with or without the egg. Same with cupcakes/cake. So many different kinds of burgers-what's to miss? Curry is made in so many different ways. I used to miss butter when it was cheaper than plant based--it's not anymore. Cookies--I know so many that are vegan.

I miss random candy. I loved so much when people offered the snack sized bars.
I do miss all the flavors of dairy cream, but I don't really crave it anymore
I also miss free pizza, but actually it usually isn't that good anyway

...and brownies! Of the soooo many recipes, bakeries, I have never had a vegan brownie I felt worthy of calling a brownie. Were they good? yes, but not enough to satisfy what I loved about a pan of brownie mix brownies
...and fast food. It is rare that I want to go to a fast food place, but I sure would like that option. Even Subway got super crappy (and now owned by Arbys)

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian W and Emma JC
What!!!!? :hmm:
Most of that list makes no sense to me-

Top 10 foods vegans miss

According to the data, vegans typically crave classic comfort foods such as:

1. Chocolate (18,100)
  2. Banana bread (12,100)
  3. Cheese (12,100)
  4. Burger (8,100)
  5. Curry (8,100)
  6. Butter (6,600)
  7. Cupcakes (6,600)
  8. Ice Cream (6,600)
  9. Cookies (5,400)
  10. Marshmallows
I guess because I always liked dark chocolate, for one, but banana bread is the same with or without the egg. Same with cupcakes/cake. So many different kinds of burgers-what's to miss? Curry is made in so many different ways. I used to miss butter when it was cheaper than plant based--it's not anymore. Cookies--I know so many that are vegan.

I miss random candy. I loved so much when people offered the snack sized bars.
I do miss all the flavors of dairy cream, but I don't really crave it anymore
I also miss free pizza, but actually it usually isn't that good anyway

Chocolate( assuming it`s milk), cheese and butter make sense to me. I really miss the first two and also ice cream.

“It’s not working”

Will Moxham, founder of plant-based meal kit brand Planthood, recently took to LinkedIn to point out that the company had seen a 500% increase in new customers this month compared to January last year. He also announced that Planthood had grown by 400% every year since its launch, describing the demand for whole-food plant-based options as “huge”.

• Informative