PFAS PFOA & PFOE-Reasons to go plant based

Qettesh

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Raw vegan
Hello dear friends!

I'm not going to make a lengthy post, but will say this stuff is in ALL meat and dairy. I had my levels checked, insurance doesn't cover it and the company I used is called empowerDX, and thankfully my levels were 0.0027micrograms per liter of PFOA, PFOS and PFHxS and the only reason for this is that I do not eat any animal products nor do I use any of the known products that have carcinogens. A vast majority of doctors and medical professionals ( I wouldn't even call them that on a good day usually) are ignorant of these contaminants, meaning they probably have high levels and do not even know it. If you ask about it, you most likely may get blown off, told it's not serious (yeah carcinogens run amok isn't a thing to worry about...) and you may get frustrated (I know I did). I'm going to post a YouTube video to help educate those who are unaware, and a few links to the CDC that estimate blood levels in the general population. They claim the levels may be going down but it seems their science is faulty because these are bio accumulating and if people are continuously consuming these chemicals in their food, then naturally those levels would be extremely high. Which would explain why so many young people are getting cancer. Scientific illiteracy is dangerous.

PFAS in Michigan and the US meat food supply (YouTube video)

CDC - PFAS estimates in the US Population

CDC - Estimating levels of PFAS in your blood

I wish you all the best!

Hello dear friends!

I'm not going to make a lengthy post, but will say this stuff is in ALL meat and dairy. I had my levels checked, insurance doesn't cover it and the company I used is called empowerDX, and thankfully my levels were 0.0027micrograms per liter of PFOA, PFOS and PFHxS and the only reason for this is that I do not eat any animal products nor do I use any of the known products that have carcinogens. A vast majority of doctors and medical professionals ( I wouldn't even call them that on a good day usually) are ignorant of these contaminants, meaning they probably have high levels and do not even know it. If you ask about it, you most likely may get blown off, told it's not serious (yeah carcinogens run amok isn't a thing to worry about...) and you may get frustrated (I know I did). I'm going to post a YouTube video to help educate those who are unaware, and a few links to the CDC that estimate blood levels in the general population. They claim the levels may be going down but it seems their science is faulty because these are bio accumulating and if people are continuously consuming these chemicals in their food, then naturally those levels would be extremely high. Which would explain why so many young people are getting cancer. Scientific illiteracy is dangerous.

I wish you all the best!
Don't trust Youtube videos. The other sources do not mention a connection with meat eating. This comes across to me as an unfounded conspiracy theory.

Vice News - Wikipedia
Vice News (stylized as VICE News) is Vice Media's alternative current affairs channel, producing daily documentary essays and video through its website and YouTube channel. It promotes itself on its coverage of "under-reported stories"

"Under-reported" in the case of science usually means not mainstream science. That doesn't necessarily mean that it is false but
in this case it smacks of the usual "let's abuse health topics to manipulate what people choose to eat."

EDIT: Maybe the news channel is not at fault. Sadly I can't see the video as it is not available in my country but the title says nothing about meat and dairy. It is simply
The Hidden Chemicals Destroying American Farms

Don't trust Youtube videos. The other sources do not mention a connection with meat eating. This comes across to me as an unfounded conspiracy theory.
I presented Vice news because all of the few videos I've watched of theirs have been credible and informative. But here I'll indulge you with scholarly peer reviewed articles that are stuck behind paywalls if you aren't a subscriber to Nature, Science, etc...

A review of the pathways of human exposure to poly- and perfluoroalkyl substances (PFASs) and present understanding of health effects

Assessing Human Health Risks from Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substance (PFAS)-Impacted Vegetable Consumption: A Tiered Modeling Approach

Human exposure to per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) through drinking water: A review of the recent scientific literature

Also, it wouldn't hurt to watch the video. One of the people interviewed is a chemical engineer who used to work at 3M/DuPont. Her story is truly heart breaking, and she's one of the few who lived to tell her story. If you dig even further, the tests that they did on animals are public, except the ones they did on monkeys. All of the animals died of tumors/cancers and other illnesses. If you like I can link that to you in a DM, out of respect for this channel and I'm sure some wouldn't want to see such a post for ethical reasons.

Last edited:
Apart from avoiding Michigan beef, these seem to be the ways to reduce damage, although we will never be free from these chemicals. I'm glad you posted this because I wasn't aware of the problem before.

PFAS, PFOA, and PTFE: Everything You Need to Know - LeafScore

Avoid products with water-repellent and stain-repellent qualities (unless they’re certified PFAS-free)
Limit use of waterproof clothing, footwear, and other products that aren’t certified as PFAS-free
Where necessary, choose products made with recycled synthetic materials that are inherently waterproof or stain resistant
Avoid leather goods – while leather seems natural, leather tanning often uses PFAS and other toxic chemicals
Avoid prepackaged food in greaseproof bags and containers (take your own containers for takeout and grocery shopping!)
Choose BPI-certified compostable packaging that is PFAS-free
Avoid non-stick cookware that isn’t PFAS-free (use cast iron, ceramic, stainless steel, and glass instead
Choose personal care and cosmetic products that are PFAS-free or, at minimum, free of ‘perfluor-‘ and ‘polyfluor-‘ ingredients
Test your household water for PFAS or get results of municipal testing
Use a water filter for your whole home (reverse osmosis and two-stage filters are best at removing PFAS).

Reactions: Brian W
It's even worse, it's all over the country. I edited my post to include articles from PubMed.
Now PubMed I trust. Sorry about my negative first post but I also post in a forum where many people jump to conclusions and state them as unarguable facts and it has made me habitually defensive about certain types of subject such as conspiracy theories (5g etc) I still have much to learn!

Reactions: Qettesh
Now PubMed I trust. Sorry about my negative first post but I also post in a forum where many people jump to conclusions and state them as unarguable facts and it has made me habitually defensive about certain types of subject such as conspiracy theories (5g etc) I still have much to learn!
Oh it's quite alright and I totally understand. I've a PhD in pchem and did protein folding back in the day, so I always make sure I read everything and check references before I stake my reputation on some health issue that I raise in any public forum. This knowledge needs to be shared and spread so everyone is aware and can raise the public conscious about this, and then we can share with each other what works to protect ourselves from it.

Reactions: Brian W
I haven't specifically looked into this but it is now gaining more attention due to it's use in flame retardant clothing and fire fighting foam. Firefighters have had significantly higher cancer rates. Lawyers are really trying to cash in-

I've read about this heart breaking development. It's even worse on military bases, and not to mention how many people use non stick pot's & pans, water resistant clothing, fire proof carpet, it's a hot mess. People in their 20s are getting cancer and I am so sure it's because of this, because barely anyone gets tested so it's dangerously unknown what the levels are.

Hello dear friends!

I wish you all the best!
I believe that type of food causes cancer and i also believe you can knock it back if you do the right things. Eg swapping fry up breakfast with can of beer to oatly milk cereal with a banana and a glass of fruit juice when you first get up .
I do not actually feel too well myself at present. I am in the process of turning vegan and pretty unhappy. Now have a flu bug so don't know if i am going to pass on.