Animal Advocacy Peta Offers $1 Million for Fake Meat Discovery

I wish PeTA would should the frick up.
Its like one loud mouthed Veg*n standing up spouting off a load of crazy and then saying 'I represent ALL vegans, animal rights supporters and vegetarians'

No wonder omnis think we're nutters!

I think it makes sense from their ethical viewpoint... even if it's technically meat it has no capacity for suffering. Not sure how economical it could get. And $1m doesn't actually seem like much incentive either, I'm sure the costs would outweigh it vastly.

I think it makes sense from their ethical viewpoint... even if it's technically meat it has no capacity for suffering. Not sure how economical it could get. And $1m doesn't actually seem like much incentive either, I'm sure the costs would outweigh it vastly.

The research can be funded elsewhere, perhaps.

PETA makes grandiose gestures like that all the time for publicity, knowing full well that they'll never have to pay up on it.

It's actually a great strategy which I would admire were it not for the fact that I loathe PETA.

I wonder if they ever did do the contest. The article is from 2008 and said they had to come up with the fake meat by 2012.

I noticed the date too and since there have been great strides in artificial meat production in recent years, I'd be quite pleased if PETA actually had to pay up on this one.

Looks like PETA won't have to pay up on this deal (no surprise). First of all, in vitro meat is nearly ready. But it's not in production, especially not in mass quantities. But also, if you read the wording carefully, it's to be done by 2012. Done by 2012 could easily mean done before 2012, not the end of 2012. Digger is right, they make offers that they know they won't have to pay out. It's ingenious in a way. It costs them no money at all and the press publishes it all over the place.

I don't have a problem with this one, except for the jerk reaction of "OH **** OFF" whenever PETA do or say something, ever.

Perhaps I haven't thought about it enough, but in vitro meat could save a hell of a lot of animal suffering. More than anything else that could plausibly happen in the near future.

It could yeah, but from what ive seen on the various social sites im on...omnis arent going to touch it with a 10foot pole!

And I'm sure they'll use some double talk to describe what it actually is. Look at how nicely they packaged and promoted pink slime as lean finely textured beef and people ate it for years.

And I'm sure they'll use some double talk to describe what it actually is. Look at how nicely they packaged and promoted pink slime as lean finely textured beef and people ate it for years.

Yeah, it's funny how just calling something pink slime caused a complete uproar in omnis. They would have still been happily eating it today if it weren't for the media saying the words "pink slime".

The in vitro fake meat this article is talking about is muscle tissue grown in laboratories apart from any living being. Not pink slime. ;)
Still you have to start with initial cells from animals (or in fact humans) to establish a cell line and in the end muscle tissue. Nutrients, adequate growth hormones, and anything else needed by living cells would have to be added. At the moment this technique is still very cost intensive.
Would you eat "meat" from a bioreactor? The product would just be tissue with muscle texture - no nervous system is needed for this system, i.e. no consciousness and no pain.
I don't know, if I would eat that....