Animal Advocacy Peta Offers $1 Million for Fake Meat Discovery

The in vitro fake meat this article is talking about is muscle tissue grown in laboratories apart from any living being. Not pink slime. ;)
Still you have to start with initial cells from animals (or in fact humans) to establish a cell line and in the end muscle tissue. Nutrients, adequate growth hormones, and anything else needed by living cells would have to be added. At the moment this technique is still very cost intensive.
Would you eat "meat" from a bioreactor? The product would just be tissue with muscle texture - no nervous system is needed for this system, i.e. no consciousness and no pain.
I don't know, if I would eat that....
I wouldn't. I stopped eating meat as a child, and I can't even get used to some of the more realistic faux meats. They don't appeal to me at all. Too much like the real thing.

The in vitro fake meat this article is talking about is muscle tissue grown in laboratories apart from any living being. Not pink slime. ;)
Still you have to start with initial cells from animals (or in fact humans) to establish a cell line and in the end muscle tissue. Nutrients, adequate growth hormones, and anything else needed by living cells would have to be added. At the moment this technique is still very cost intensive.
Would you eat "meat" from a bioreactor? The product would just be tissue with muscle texture - no nervous system is needed for this system, i.e. no consciousness and no pain.
I don't know, if I would eat that....

Probably best not to start with humans, or anything known to have diseases communicable to humans, if possible.

So, not most livestock, huh?

Well, assuming we can choose... sure. I mean they're probably going to have to mess with the flavour already, and for certain texture. Might as well choose something (theoretically) safer.

I would never eat it but it's far better than what's currently going on. I hope they can develop a cheap, safe way to culture it without hurting animals and eventually in THE FUTURE the human race can transition over to it.

I guess this really is a loooooong term project. As everything the cells need to growth has to be supplemented and needs to be of purest microbiological quality to avoid contamination, the first steps of upscaling to an industrial process will be very cost intensive. This will only be done, if there is a market for the stuff. And these days fake meat will not last a single day in direct competition with meat without ground breaking ethical changes all over the world or subsidies from governments.

:fp:
Why not use $1,000,000. to promote regular vegan food manufacturing?
What person who says they couldn't go veg'n because they like meat so much is gonna want to eat in vitro meat?
One- they would probably just eat "humanly raised" meat, but can't afford it.
which leads to Two-they wouldn't afford invitro meat either!

I would expect the promotion of invitro meat would cause even bigger demands for the real thing. It would cause a comparison in taste and cost, and concievably undermind many peoples attempt to avoid it.

:fp:
Why not use $1,000,000. to promote regular vegan food manufacturing?
What person who says they couldn't go veg'n because they like meat so much is gonna want to eat in vitro meat?
One- they would probably just eat "humanly raised" meat, but can't afford it.
which leads to Two-they wouldn't afford invitro meat either!

I would expect the promotion of invitro meat would cause even bigger demands for the real thing. It would cause a comparison in taste and cost, and concievably undermind many peoples attempt to avoid it.

As right as I think you are, I think that developing this technology now could save lots of animals in the long run, even if not in the short term. The world is obsessed with other issues now, but once we manage to sort ourselves out the animals' time will come, and those issues will be brought to light. And once they are, I think the omnivores of that time would probably adapt easier to lab-grown meat that tastes like animal-grown meat than vegan substitutes.

People don't really have that much problem giving up meat, and there already exists a lot of subs.
I feel they should go after the cheese market!!!
How many times I've heard "I can up meat, just not cheese".

I'm going to avoid this because animals would still be slaughtered for it.
"The creation of in-vitro meat does require the slaughter of animals, but in theory a single specimen could provide the seed material for hundreds of tonnes of meat."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/jun/22/fake-meat-scientific-breakthroughs-research
But I suppose less slaughter is always good, as long as the vegan options don't decrease.. Like Chicago Diner, I hope they remain meat-free even after lab meat comes out.
It would be exciting if it eventually came to a point where lab meat does not require slaughter.
I think it's better than the crap that's going on now, but it's not something I would indulge in if any animals are being killed for the production of lab meat. I think it would be a great idea for carnivore pets, though.

First, you take a cow, pig or indeed just about any animal... Then you kill it. The creation of in-vitro meat does require the slaughter of animals... The next stage is to extract a sliver of muscle tissue...

I'm not sure I see why that necessitates that it actually die. Hell, I'd sell that for $50 if it were legal...