Partner who isnt fully vegan

Rubeans73

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So I have been with my parter for almost 3 years. He has been vegan since I've met him with the exception that he takes these energy pills where the capsule is made from gelatine. I let him know what that is made up of & he decided not to take them again. Fast forward many months later I end up finding them in his bag again. Im just confused about what to do. It seems since its not physically a slab of animal flesh he is chewing it is okay? It bothers me a lot because I am very much so for animal rights but cannot tell is this should be a deal breaker for our relationship? We've discussed it & he said he's going to finish it until he runs out & not buy it again 🙄.

Is there something different about them?
A few years back I started taking algae dha. I was really really surprised that I had a noticeable improvement in my focus and attention span.They were also pricey! I was in CVS drugstore looking at their buy one get one free vitamins and saw they had a large bottle of algae dha with the same potency I'd been taking. I also read that all algae DHA sold in US was through the same source. Not only BOGO, but just one large bottle was far cheaper than any I found elsewhere! They had -- gelatine capsules...
I paced the aisles back and forth, I left, came back, paced. I finally bought them.

I honestly don't even identify as vegan except to those who wouldn't understand anything else, because I will make these kinds of exceptions. While I did finish those bottles I have since relegated my capsules to vegan ones, as it did give me unease.

I guess my point is that if you feel a need to make an exception the best thing to ask yourself is how does your choice affect the larger picture? I know no more or less animals were harmed by my choice, and I only changed out of my own discomfort

Everyone is different in how they perceive their actions. When I first went vegan I avoided all potential ingredients, the l-cystiene, mono and di glycerides, emailed companies for the source of enzymes and natural flavors, if I didn't know, I didn't buy or consume.
As time went on I found myself being far more at ease with avoiding the animal products, but I also realized every little thing wasn't as big a deal as other people were to me.

Relationships are far more than picking each other apart. Whether they feel the need to avoid something is entirely their choosing, and your reaction to their choices is your own.

I've always felt that when becoming vegan it wasn't necessary to throw away all your nonvegan things. Just not to buy more.

I heard stories from members here who transitioned overnight and threw away lots of stuff. I think throwing away stuff is wasteful. and it's not like you are going to bring the dead animal back to life. So i am on your boyfriend's side. he should finish the bottle and just not buy anymore.

So I have been with my parter for almost 3 years. He has been vegan since I've met him with the exception that he takes these energy pills where the capsule is made from gelatine. I let him know what that is made up of & he decided not to take them again. Fast forward many months later I end up finding them in his bag again. Im just confused about what to do. It seems since its not physically a slab of animal flesh he is chewing it is okay? It bothers me a lot because I am very much so for animal rights but cannot tell is this should be a deal breaker for our relationship? We've discussed it & he said he's going to finish it until he runs out & not buy it again 🙄.

I would just try and find the equivalent of these energy pills in a vegan option. The latter being subjective, I'm sure that he could find a suitable product on either iherb.com ( just type in vegan energy supplements and tons come up) and you also have the following link were there are a few options:

We all have different tolerances within relationships for 'differences' and if that is the worst thing that your partner does and you love everything else about them then I think you should consider yourself lucky. I am sure there are things that you do that he is not thrilled about and there may be other things about them you are not happy about. Doing a small non-vegan thing and not expecting you to do the same or throwing it in your face seems a minor difference to me.

That said, if you can find a solution that makes you both happy, awesome! if you can't, I am not sure it is something you should stress about or stress them about.

Welcome to the forum, btw, and we look forward to sharing your journey and to your future contributions.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Agree
Reactions: Rubeans73 and KLS52
Has he looked into or tried any vegan energy pills? Maybe it is something you could do together. It could be about the cost, or the ingredients, how much caffeine it has, he could just really like that specific brand.

Reactions: Emma JC
A gelatine capsule only contains about a gram of gelatine. I personally wouldn’t worry about it.