Options?

Kevin Figueroa

Newcomer
Reaction score
I posted this in the support before I realized there was a food section. I don't use forums much. Regardless, I'll start off by saying I'm not vegan, but I'm seeing someone who is. When she told me, I was obviously cool with it (hence, why I'm here), but I knew it'd be something I'll have to take into consideration. I'll admit I don't know much about veganism, but I want to try for her. With that said I wanted to reach out to the community because I thought it'd be best to hear from actual people than dig online. What are some restaurants/fast food chains that have some vegan friendly options? Also, she loves candy, so what are some things I should avoid? I know chocolate is a no no unless it's specifically vegan, but is there anything else I should avoid if I get her stuff? Lastly, are there any spicy vegan dishes? She likes spicy food, so, if she ever comes over, I'd like to make something she'd like. I can always look up the recipes or go in the recipe forum, but I'd like some ideas for the dishes themselves. Thank you.

Hi Kevin, a lot of good curry recipes are around. Mexican food also a lot of Asian recipes are vegan, or very easily adaptable,
for example fish sauce, or oyster sauce can be substituted with a good soy sauce or simply some other seasoning. If you have a favourite meat recipe do not be afraid to think outside the box and substitute mushrooms, tofu, or even some meat substitutes. One of my favourite dishes I simply use potatoes and tofu instead of chicken.
With sweets avoid anything with gelatine,
It really can be a minefield getting started and I hope your girl friend really appreciates you stepping up for her.

Reactions: Kevin Figueroa
Well if you follow through on everything you're suggesting above you'll probably show yourself to be a better than average boyfriend. :)

If you are talking about buying her products as presents, I would buy one of the following products:
1. Products you are able to confirm as vegan because you have googled it.
2. Products that say vegan or certified vegan on the box.
3. Products you've seen her eat before.

I'm not too sure about fast food places. You might want to post what country you are in.

Recipes - you could get a better answer from others, from google, or from a book, than from me. I suggest whatever you do consider a trial run some days before so you know it will come out good. You could also tell her what all the ingredients are to make her feel more secure. Double check no allergies etc in advance, but maybe that's stating the obvious.

At some point, you might want to find out how strict she is, however people identifying as vegan are often very strict so assume absolute zero animal product of any kind in anything until told otherwise.

Also, remember, it is more than food, you need to consider veganism every time you buy her clothes, toiletries, and perhaps other products too. She likely won't want to do things like going to the zoo, horse back riding etc. Basically nothing that involves animal testing, the use of animals as part of the product, animal cruelty or really almost anything using animals in a commercial process or owning them as a product. For toiletries you can google if it's vegan or cross check against a list online somewhere (maybe PETA). If this seems like a lot of hassle you could always ask for her favourite things or repeat some reliable presents.

I suggest you ask her for her favourite book or movie about veganism and then watch it. That will help understand her a bit more.

If you are interested in why I am vegetarian/vegan, see here:https://whytryveg.wordpress.com/2017/02/19/my-veg-argument/
If you are definately not interested in becoming vegan yourself, you can ignore this link.

Keep in mind that some vegans will see veganism as a serious moral issue and be uncomfortable dating a meat eater in the long run, especially if they see their partner as inflexible and not even willing to talk about it. Some go into short term relationships hoping to convert you to their ways.
Whereas others are going to be much more flexible and just appreciate that you accomodate their preferences. At some point, you might want to figure out which is which in her case. Still, I wouldn't push these discussions too early. Better just have fun to start with!

Last edited:
Hi Kevin, a lot of good curry recipes are around. Mexican food also a lot of Asian recipes are vegan, or very easily adaptable,
for example fish sauce, or oyster sauce can be substituted with a good soy sauce or simply some other seasoning. If you have a favourite meat recipe do not be afraid to think outside the box and substitute mushrooms, tofu, or even some meat substitutes. One of my favourite dishes I simply use potatoes and tofu instead of chicken.
With sweets avoid anything with gelatine,
It really can be a minefield getting started and I hope your girl friend really appreciates you stepping up for her.

Thank you, I'll take a mental note on the gelatin products. I appreciate the ideas. I honestly didn't have a clue on what I could make for her. I can already make some Asian dishes so it's just a matter of finding a substitution she'd like and learning to prepare that. I'm Hispanic (Puerto Rican) so I can try to experiment with some food. Much appreciated :)

Well if you follow through on everything you're suggesting above you'll probably show yourself to be a better than average boyfriend. :)

If you are talking about buying her products as presents, I would buy one of the following products:
1. Products you are able to confirm as vegan because you have googled it.
2. Products that say vegan or certified vegan on the box.
3. Products you've seen her eat before.

I'm not too sure about fast food places. You might want to post what country you are in.

Recipes - you could get a better answer from others, from google, or from a book, than from me. I suggest whatever you do consider a trial run some days before so you know it will come out good. You could also tell her what all the ingredients are to make her feel more secure. Double check no allergies etc in advance, but maybe that's stating the obvious.

At some point, you might want to find out how strict she is, however people identifying as vegan are often very strict so assume absolute zero animal product of any kind in anything until told otherwise.

Thank you so much. I didn't even consider things like clothes and toiletries. I did consider going vegan myself a while back due to my health. I have hypertension and a history of diabetes on both sides of my family. I know certain meals are high in sodium, especially meat products. I'll look into it. Even if the relationship doesn't last, it'd be something for myself since I am an animal lover myself and I worry about my health. It'll be a dramatic change though since I come from a Puerto Rican family so almost all the food is linked to an animal in some way. I may look into it, but yeah, I'm from the United States (Pittsburgh area). I'm a little stumped on eating when I'm with her because I don't want to put her in an awkward position with limited options. I appreciate the kind words by the way, I'm trying my best to make her comfortable. She's not too comfortable talking about it with me b/c she's seen some people who aren't really as accepting. That said, I'm on here to try to get a better idea. It's a small detail about her, but I'm aware that it's a large portion of her lifestyle, so I'd like to accommodate that the best I can. I'm hoping she doesn't mind me not being vegan too much since she agreed to go out with me a few times, but at the same time I can understand how that'd bother her. I really appreciate it though. You've brought to light some points I haven't considered, gracias :)

Reactions: alleycat
Hola Kevin
Aqui en Espana tenemos Porra Antequerrana, por ejemplo. I'll continue in English, because it's easier for me and also because Spanish cuisine is very meat and fish based. Curries are excellent, chilli sin carne too. I love goulash and cajun spice recipes. I think the way to her heart is definitely if you cook for her yourself and can say "I made it myself". The dishes I mention are very simply to prepare. I don't like tofu, it's very bland. Rather than think of meat substitutes think of the wonderful vegan recipes which exist all over the world. I love pasta: you can make a simple but very tasty pasta without cooking anything except the pasta (follow the instructions on the packet). Add halved cherry tomatotes, ruccula (rocket), vegan parmesan https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vegan-cashew-parmesan - that should impress her. And add some vegan pesto sauce (bought or make your own). Oh and I would recommend a Greek dish which is easy to cook: Briam - google it. Give yourself plenty of time to cook and get a nice bottle of vegan wine. Lots of wines are vegan even those that don't say they are on the label.

I have heard that vegan is good for reducing diabetes, but I don't know for sure, and the reality will surely be more complex than that simple statement, even if it is true. So you'll need to do some research there.

I have heard that vegan is good for reducing diabetes, but I don't know for sure, and the reality will surely be more complex than that simple statement, even if it is true. So you'll need to do some research there.

I just did a little research. You're right. It helps indirectly since avoiding meat and dairy lower blood sugar levels (good for hypertension in my case), and avoiding those lead to weight loss too which is good all around. A vegan diet will aid in lowering cholesterol and improve kidney functioning as well -The Internet. I think I may try giving it a go by easing into it. There's more physiological things going on, but that is essentially the result. I thought about it before, but never gave it a go. I've given the Keto diet and the dash diet a go at my doctor's request with no real luck. I've lost weight, but still had an above average bp reading. I'll have to do some digging for myself personally. I suppose now would be a good time to try since I'll be cooking for someone else and I'll have to be aware of those factors regardless. Thus far, my interactions with everyone on here have been pleasant too. Even if its just helping me try to understand and support my girl better, I express my gratitude to you, Jamie, and everyone who was/is kind enough to respond.