OMG I just ate a bunch of plants...

PoppyBlue

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
...and it was effing delicious!

Hi everyone! It's been 4 weeks since my family and I went vegan and its awesome. I learned how to make some good dishes, ate vegetables I never thought I'd eat and found a vegan restaurant! I also feel great, pipes are running as they should, energy is up and weight is down!

So does this mean were no longer transitioning? I'm not quite sure we ever were since we quit cold turkey. Best thing we ever did!

...and it was effing delicious!

Hi everyone! It's been 4 weeks since my family and I went vegan and its awesome. I learned how to make some good dishes, ate vegetables I never thought I'd eat and found a vegan restaurant! I also feel great, pipes are running as they should, energy is up and weight is down!

So does this mean were no longer transitioning? I'm not quite sure we ever were since we quit cold turkey. Best thing we ever did!

Hi Poppyblue,

Would you like to share some of your new vegan dishes (especially the simpler ones), to help other people who have recently become vegan?

David, yes!
I’ll share an ‘improved’ recipe that I tried from the Thug Kitchen cookbook. It was kind of bland but had potential.

Breakfast Scramble:

1 tablespoon Vegetable Broth
1 block firm tofu (drained not pressed)
1 cup fresh Spinach
Trader Joes Everything but the Bagel Sesame seasoning
Tortillas (optional)
Daiya shreds or dairy free cheese of your choice
Nutritional yeast
-----------
Chop up these veggies and stick them in a bowl
4 oz. Bella mushrooms or whatever you like – diced/ food processor

½ red bell pepper - diced
2 Green onion leaves- sliced
Fresh parsley – chopped
*you can also combine the red pepper, green onion, and parsley into a food processor *
-----------
In a small bowl combine:
1 tablespoon Garlic powder
1 tablespoon Onion powder
1 tsp Pepper
2 pinches of salt (optional)

Heat a skillet at a little less than medium heat. Crumble the tofu into the pan and break up with a spatula so it resembles ground meat.

Add a tablespoon of vegetable broth

Add mushrooms, bell pepper, parsley and green onion. Mix well.

Add spices and mix well.

Add fresh spinach. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add more vegetable broth if it because too dry or starts to stick to the pan.

Remove lid and continue to cook until all moisture is gone.
---------
This can be eaten on its own but my family likes to put it into a tortilla, sprinkle it with the Everything but the Bagel seasoning, nutritional yeast, and daiya shreds. I personally like it better without the “cheese” so see which you like best.

This should keep for a week in the fridge. Do a smell check around day 5 or 6, haha.

I also used to make a killer garlic teriyaki chicken dish but have veganized it because my kids absolutely can't live without the sauce so if anyone is interested, let me know and ill share how to make it :)

Ok Garlic Teriyaki glaze...
I cook for up to 6 people so this will make a decent amount of sauce. I like to make this for a bunch of meals and refrigerate or freeze them.

In a medium pot, throw all this in:
3/4 cup Soy Sauce
1 cup Water
1 tablespoon Minced Garlic (a little more if you love garlic)
1 tsp Pepper
1 tablespoon parsley flakes ( or fresh if you prefer)
4 tablespoons Brown Sugar - packed
Green onions do well in this too if you want to slice some up

Bring to boil at a little over medium heat (dial to 5 o'clock)

In a small bowl mix 3 tablespoons of cornstarch into 1/2 cup cold water. Refrigerated water works well or you can put an ice cube in it.
Add this to the pot and stir for a couple minutes then turn off the burner. Stir occasionally and remove from the burner after about 5 minutes. sauce will thicken. Pour over just about anything.
-------------------

Teriyaki Tofu Bowls
*This will make about 12 to 15 snack size bowls. See pic*
41CAzvQ0CpL._AC_.jpg

1 cup couscous
1 cup of quinoa
2 Blocks Firm tofu (pressed and cubed) fried or baked
Sesame seeds

combine the cooked couscous and quinoa and scoop into bowls with a large serving spoon. divide up tofu among the bowls. Top with teriyaki glaze and sprinkle with sesame seeds.