Oil subs other than tahini

kylefoley76

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I've been persuaded that oil isn't good for you. One sub that I saw recommended was Tahini but I can't stand the taste of it? Does anyone know of a different sub? Thanks.

Tahini really has to be mixed with agave and red wine vinegar for me to eat it. I use it as a dressing for salad. There's also mashed up avocado.

There are different oil subs for different purposes. Are you talking for baking? Searing? For sauces? Its different for each thing. For baking I use apple sauce as the sub for both oil and eggs, and for stuff like bread and pancakes that works amazingly. If you just want something to thicken a sauce or help give an oil-like mouth feel, tapioca starch works great (also helps when added to seitan to give a sausage/pepperoni texture without having to have any oil in it). If it is for dressings, you can always use flax or chia to make a good no-cook thickener, just mix some with hot water, stirring now and again, until thick, then chill.

Or are you looking for good whole-foods sources of lipids?

The only problem l have with apple sauce for baking is that l don't want my roast cauliflower or sweet potato , or anything really , to taste like apple .. It was suggested in the Health section for me to try water - not sure if that will make the vegies soggy or not , but l'll try that first . If that doesn't work l think l'll stick to my extra-virgin olive oil .
Thanks for sharing , everyone . x

Yeah I wouldn't use it for those things either, only bread-y stuff. So you mean for frying and roasting? Mic the Vegan has a decent vid on that, I think this is the right one
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeeJ4vUh0tc

I'm glad there is a way to link a youtube link here without it turning in to a giant thumbnail in the middle of text.

Hi Sapphire Lightning,

Thanks for helping me out and nice name.

There are different oil subs for different purposes. Are you talking for baking? Searing? For sauces?
For salad dressing.

tapioca starch works great (also helps when added to seitan to give a sausage/pepperoni texture without having to have any oil in it).
Could you please point me to a recipe? Thanks.

If it is for dressings, you can always use flax or chia to make a good no-cook thickener, just mix some with hot water, stirring now and again, until thick, then chill.
Same here.

Also, someone mentioned Mic the Vegan below. Him and the author of the China Study, Campbell, are the ones that persuaded me of this.

Hi Amberfunk,

Tahini really has to be mixed with agave and red wine vinegar for me to eat it. I use it as a dressing for salad. There's also mashed up avocado.

Right now, I mix it with balsamic vinegar, horseradish and garlic. If you mix it with mustard, the mustard clumps together too much. What proportion of Agave do you use?

So I put about two to three spoonfuls of tahini (depending on size of salad or potato) and mix it with some cold tap water first. It will start getting thicker first then start thinning as you add bits of water at a time. Then I'll add about a teaspoon of agave with some red wine vinegar and mix it in. I usually add a little garlic powder and chives as well.

It's no wonder you don't really like it. Horseradish and balsalmic vinegar don't compliment it. If anything it's probably making it more bitter than it already is.

I like tahini with lots and lots of lemon juice. A little garlic and some salt help too.

You can use miso paste in dressings. I have made one with a good mustard, rice vinegar, and coconut sugar, you could sub maple syrup or agave.

My roommate puts miso paste directly on toast. I tried it once and I'm not so sure about it, but it can definitely be combined with things.

You can make a peanut sauce with peanut butter, hot water, soy sauce, lime or lemon juice and hot sauce like Sriracha.

Cashew based sauces are good too, you soak and blend them with water and spices, and nutritional yeast. I make a really good cheese sauce with potatoes and carrots that is cashew based, and I swear by putting tahini and smoked paprika in it, which is how it's different from every other potato cheese sauce on the Internet.

Avocados/guacamole are always good.

Reactions: Emma JC
You can make a peanut sauce with peanut butter, hot water, soy sauce, lime or lemon juice and hot sauce like Sriracha.

A yes, that is a very good one - Esselstyns have one called Dragon Dressing and it is so good.

1/2 cup peanut butter
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons low sodium tamari (or soy sauce)
1 to 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon hot sauce (sriracha preferred)
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 teaspoon minced or powdered ginger
1/3 cup water, or more, depending on the thickness you prefer.

Adding some lemon or lime juice instead of water is a great idea! @Forest Nymph

It is delicious (and pretty high in fat :() lol

Emma JC

You don't need a substitute for oil just like you don't need a substitute for meat.
Just eat hempseeds (perfect ratio of omega 3-6-9), and other seeds like sunflower, pumpkin, chia, etc. and nuts like cashews, almonds, brazil, etc.

Occasionally I make "fries" with potato strips and crushed whole flax seeds mixed with water. That was my breakfast this morning with some broccoli.

Basically you take whole flax seeds, crush them in a blender, add water and mix. Put the mixture in a large plastic bag and add potato strips, then shake around until the strips are completely covered. Dump the whole contents of the bag into a pan and cook on medium. It looks like snot at first, but if you keep cooking that will evaporate and some of it will go into the potatoes. Browning effect can be achieved this way as well.

Whole (and ground) flaxseeds with added water are safe to cook with, unlike isolated flaxseed oil - which is very volatile and should never be used in cooking.