Nuts May Reduce Risk Of Death From Any Cause

Boiled peanuts always fascinated me and I finally got to try them at a stop at South of the Border. They were awful. Tasted rancid. I expected them to taste similar to any other nut after they've been soaked like almonds or cashews ( tasting like peanut, of course) but they were definitely "off". Is that possible or do they develop a different flavor after they've been boiled?

You know you've spotted a Yankee when they don't know how to appreciate boiled peanuts. Such a shame. ;)

Anyway, cooked peanuts aren't going to taste like other nuts because they aren't really nuts. If you think of them more like beans, it might get you over that mental hurdle and you can enjoy them.

Reactions: ledboots
Boiled peanuts always fascinated me and I finally got to try them at a stop at South of the Border. They were awful. Tasted rancid. I expected them to taste similar to any other nut after they've been soaked like almonds or cashews ( tasting like peanut, of course) but they were definitely "off". Is that possible or do they develop a different flavor after they've been boiled?
You must have had a bad batch. I always likened them to other cooked legumes (which technically, they are) like richer salty kidney beans, for example.

Maybe I'll try making them myself! *runs off to google, how to make boiled peanuts*

I love all kinds of beans and legumes, cooked and/or sprouted.

Lol...not the recipe I found! It said it could take anywhere from 6-12 hours! And you have to keep tasting them and adding water...

???

You just throw them in a cockpit with some salt and maybe some creole seasoning.
Lol @ cockpit...I definitely don't have one of those! [emoji12]

But seriously, I didn't think of a crockpot...now that's easy!

This Yank has never had boiled peanuts. :D But now I'm a little more curious about them after this discussion.